. .
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    I made a BT30/ER11 drag engraving tool holder last week
    Don't know much about drag engraving but curious about it - does the engraving tip not need to turn to follow the direction of drag? Or is the tip shaped to cut in any direction? Or does it have a swivel in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    Don't know much about drag engraving but curious about it - does the engraving tip not need to turn to follow the direction of drag? Or is the tip shaped to cut in any direction? Or does it have a swivel in it?
    No.
    Diamond Drag Engraving is entirely unrelated to Drag Knife, the Diamond tip is conical, in no way directional and is not required to rotate at all.

This is a quick test to ensure it works as designed, lettering is 5mm high
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DragEngraverToolTest.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	27350
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

3. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

My wife is an embroiderer/felt maker. I also earn brownie points by making odds and sods for her use. These are typical of a set of trays that I made to fit in the widely-available range of "Really Useful Boxes", of which she has quite a lot.One of these boxes full of reels of thread wastes a lot of time whenever you are looking for one in particular so I designed and made the stacking trays. I like using the tab-and-slot method of construction, and I try to ensure that all loads are taken mechanically by the tab design. These ones use small dabs of superglue just to stop them falling apart although there is little load taken by the glue. Each tray has a slot in the base plus matching cutout in the central divider so that the handle on the one below has somewhere to go. This is also helps when you just have them stacked on the table as they don't slide off each other. Top tray in each box doesn't have the projecting handle just so it fits in the plastic boxes. I designed them in Fusion 360 using parameters for key dimensions so that it is relatively easy to create the different sizes. I worried a lot about corner clearance in the slots - can't make square corners with a round tool - and eventually settled for the fillets as seen here. Other projects have used a smaller cutter and so the corner fillets are a little less obtrusive. However, these weren't designed with aesthetics high on the agenda - more "what can I knock up quickly!"

Name:	20170815_164919.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	27353Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170815_164933.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	233.0 KB 
ID:	27354Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170815_164955.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	27355

Really, this kind of thing just emphasises my point about how useful a CNC router is for fairly ordinary projects - would have taken ages to do something like by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    My wife is an embroiderer/felt maker. I also earn brownie points by making odds and sods for her use.

Really, this kind of thing just emphasises my point about how useful a CNC router is for fairly ordinary projects - would have taken ages to do something like by hand.
    Neale,
    Christie used to make beautiful silk and nuno-felted scarves and shawls and played with needle-felting for a while. I even made an animated film with needle felted characters! I'm definitely with you on the brownie-points and you might recognise the joints on the boxes below. The wavy stick is used for decorative weaving.

It can save a lot of hand work doing this stuff on the CNC router, especially if you don't have a range of other machine tools like a table saw for example and we have been known to design stuff on the laptop over a glass of something in the evening and then I can cut the parts next morning. Very civilised!

Magicniner,
    I like the engraver holder, very neat. For the benefit of other readers, I bought an engraver tool which already includes the springloaded holder and fits into a 12mm collet. Just remember NOT to start the spindle when using it.

Name:	Boxes.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	271.7 KB 
ID:	27356

Name:	Engraver.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	27357
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    I used to make bobbins for her to sell on her website
    Huh I was asked about exactly this the other day. Another hobby she has is glass fusing and bead making; apparently spangled lace bobbins fetch a high price these days, so if I could produce the bobbin she'd do the rest.

Obviously my cutting experience is very limited with my original conversion not really even coping with soft woods (it was an old scanning water phantom, so very weak). I guess it could be done by just flipping the work, but I did wonder if it was a 4th axis job. Would love to hear more about your method? Did you CNC them or just manually turn them?

Could be worse I suppose. At least we've never had any of those nasty, smelly, expensive child things.
    Hah.

Andy,
    I turned the lace bobbins by hand. That was long before I got involved in CNC stuff. In fact in 2004 we spent our last ever weekend living in the UK attending a course on bobbin turning and one of the first household appliances we bought in the new country was a lathe! In our early years in Australia C used to have an online shop selling bobbins nd other lace-making supplies, some that I made here but most were imported from the UK made by Stuart Johnson (who ran the course we attended along with David Springett) or Chris Parsons.

Hand turning wood down to a diameter of 3mm takes a steady hand but once you get the knack it's easy enough with the right timber. Mass production requires a well thought out process and the right tools but nothing expensive or complicated. If you really want to look into making a 4th axis and producing bobbins I'd be happy to give you the benefit of my hand-turning experience. A 4th axis for such light work would be pretty simple. The main design requirement would be a fast turn-round time for swapping out pieces.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    No.
    Diamond Drag Engraving is entirely unrelated to Drag Knife, the Diamond tip is conical, in no way directional and is not required to rotate at all.

This is a quick test to ensure it works as designed, lettering is 5mm high
    Thanks, Nick - my interest is a bit more towards drag knife work (and I'll get one of those set up on my machine one day) but it's always interesting to see the art of the possible, especially with relatively simple bits of kit. Nice job, especially remembering the size of the lettering. What's the material you were cutting?

Christie used to make beautiful silk and nuno-felted scarves and shawls and played with needle-felting for a while. I even made an animated film with needle felted characters! I'm definitely with you on the brownie-points and you might recognise the joints on the boxes below. The wavy stick is used for decorative weaving.
    It's a good technique - I've made a little set of drawers (toolmaker's cabinet style) to hold cutters and suchlike and the drawers are really easy to assemble and fit the cabinet well enough that they are all interchangeable - no fitting required. For me, though, the technique illustrates an important idea - when faced with an engineering necessity (like the need for these corner fillets) then make it a desirable aesthetic feature and be blatant about it! Reminds me of something I read about the original minis many years ago (cars, not skirts...) Issigonis found that the spot welding machines of the era were too big and clumsy to easily spot weld the usual in-turned flanges between body panels in such a small car. So he turned them outwards and stuck a bit of chrome trim over them to make them a "feature". Dreadful rust traps, of course, but that was a standard feature of just about every car of that period.

Go on Kit, Go the full Jacquard ! She's worth it !

Not so difficult to do, I suspect - I visited a weaver in the Outer Hebrides a year or two back who was using a floor loom, but, in effect, bolted on the side there was a solenoid-operated mechanism for operating the heddle levers (sorry - full technical terms escape me!). The solenoids were operated by software running on an Apple Mac (I think it was). So, I'm waiting for the first Mach3-controlled loom to appear in this forum! Punched cards are so nineteenth century - use Mach3 and take a giant leap into the twentieth

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information