. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi I recently purchased a Hobby-Line 6045 from Sorotec and a Mechatron 1.5 kW spindle. It's gonna be my first time owning a cnc. Originally the kit is bundled with

AMB FME-Q 800
    NEMA23 1.8Nm
    Lichuan MC542 drives

I thought I'd instead get:

Mechatron HFSAC-8015 1.5 kW spindle https://www.mechatron-gmbh.de/typo3c...015-24_web.pdf
    Nema23 3Nm https://cdn-reichelt.de/documents/da...3-03_DB_EN.pdf
    UC300ETH-5LPT

After some research I decided to go with UCCNC. Cam is Solidcam.

I saw some recommendations to pair the UC300ETH-5LPT with UB1 BOB or a Gecko540. Honestly I have no idea what to look for. I mostly want to mill aluminum alloys, nothing fancy, the regular stuff you can get on ebay.

What about the drives? A DM542?
    Breakout board?
    variable frequency drive for the spindle?
    PSU?

Thanks!
    Last edited by hardenum; 07-02-2020 at 04:51 PM.

What electronics have you purchased so far.?

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    What electronics have you purchased so far.?
    None, only the frame and the spindle. I though I'd ask first, since I have no experience and I'd rather pay more for quality electronics and have it last a few years then have something cheap that will only work for a few months.

My total budget for the whole electronics shebang including a spindle drive is 1000EUR.
    Last edited by hardenum; 07-02-2020 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hardenum View Post
    None, only the frame and the spindle. I though I'd ask first, since I have no experience and I'd rather pay more for quality electronics and have it last a few years then have something cheap that will only work for a few months.

My total budget for the whole electronics shebang including a spindle drive is 1000EUR.
    Ok well, that will get you a nice setup.

Regards the controller then if you don't need more than 6 Inputs and 8 Outputs, which for a typical router that doesn't use tool changing spindle is more than enough. Then I'd look at the AXBB controller as it's a neat little package that doesn't require a BOB. It's got all you need from a controller 400Khz frequency and 24vdc I/O and 0-10V Analog Output for spindle control.

The UC300ETH and UB1 is also a very nice combo but it's expensive and if you don't need all the I/O then it's a waste of money which could be better spent on other things like Closed-loop steppers. Which brings me nicely onto steppers.!

The price of Closed-loop stepper systems have dropped to the point it's not worth buying a standard stepper system if you can afford the little extra.
    I've fitted many closed-loop systems now and they are superior in performance and more reliable than a standard stepper system.
    You'll see many Chinese versions along with Leadshine who are most prominent, I've used most of the main ones you'll find and I see no difference in performance from the Leadshine over the others. Now I mostly fit Lichuan and buy direct from Lichuan these days.

You'll buy these a lot cheaper if get from China. Don't be afraid to buy from China because you can save a lot of money, I've been buying from China for years without any problems and to be honest, I get better service than I do in the EU and a lot more respect.

Regards the PSU then look for drives with a Max voltage of at least 70Vdc and run them approximately 10% below this rating. For a good machine, you want to be running the motors above 50Vdc to get higher RPM with torque but you'll see a lot of 50Vdc Max drives which you'll need to run at 40Vdc to be safe and this will lower the machine's performance.

Also, a lot of the current drives allow you to run them with AC or DC power, it doesn't really matter which you use the performance will be the same. However, AC is simpler as it doesn't require you rectify AC to DC using a bridge rectifier and Capacitors. It only requires a transformer with the correct AC output, the 10% allowance above still applies.

The best type of PSU for a CNC machine is an unregulated PSU, The most common type is toroidal PSU and if going DC is used with Bridge rectifier and capacitors to give the DC output required. They are simple things to build so don't be intimidated if going with DC power but AC does simplify things.

Regards the VFD then I cannot help other than to say any that meets the spindle spec will work. I only ever fit the Chinese spindles and Huanyang VFD's and don't ever have any problems.

Thou if it was me I wouldn't be paying a fortune for a brand name because the Cheap Chinese VFDs work perfectly well for the DIY environment and you could buy 4 VFDs for the price of a leading brand name.!!... Or 2 full sets of spindles and VFD's.!!!

Many thanks for the reply! Can you link me where exactly you get the lichuan drives? I dont see any shop link on Lichuans website, thanks.
    Last edited by hardenum; 08-02-2020 at 06:44 PM.

Here's their Aliexpress shop, send them an email asking for a quote including shipping to your region. Much cheaper than Sorotec.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/190...569f5bd5xG17gv

Slightly off-topic, Dean, but related to your previous post - a good while back you posted a video review of some servo systems that you had been playing with. They were from BST Automation but they don't seem to list such things any more. Lichuan good for those as well? I'm still planning a vertical mill CNC conversion and might consider servos.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    Slightly off-topic, Dean, but related to your previous post - a good while back you posted a video review of some servo systems that you had been playing with. They were from BST Automation but they don't seem to list such things any more. Lichuan good for those as well? I'm still planning a vertical mill CNC conversion and might consider servos.
    Yes, Neale, they are good for servo's as well. However, they have just introduced a new range of servo's which I haven't used yet. The ones I used were the older AASD type which where exactly the same one's BST sold. They are a very common Chinese drive and you'll see them in many different disguises with different badges but essentially they are all AASD drives.
    For the money, you can't go wrong working out at roughly £300 a set Inc shipping Vat etc. This was for 60mm frame 600W 3000rpm motor and Drive with 5Mtr cables.
    Same but 110 frame 1.8Kw 3000Rpm worked out at roughly £360.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Here's their Aliexpress shop, send them an email asking for a quote including shipping to your region. Much cheaper than Sorotec.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/190...569f5bd5xG17gv
    Thanks! I see they have 2-phase and 3-phase closed loop steppers, which ones should I email them about, whats the practical difference between the two?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information