. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan2020 View Post
    Morning all,

I have been looking into getting a cnc machine that will carve letters into stone, this would include sandstone, granite and marble.

I have no idea what it is that I am looking for.

I was looking at the x-carve ones but i don't know if it would be powerful enough to engrave stone.

Could someone please advise what cnc machine(s) would be best for this type of work, which would be within an affordable range, would i be able to get one for around £5000? where would I get one from, could someone advise of a decent supplier preferably within the uk?

Many thanks for any help

Dan

In answer to your question straight from a user, you would not get a stone cutting machine for £5k, we spent £7500 for the basic machine direct from China plus shipping plus taxes plus delivery from port.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New_cnc.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	265.5 KB 
ID:	27362

This was in 2012 the machine is 1.8m x 1.4 bed it has a 5.5kw 24000 rpm water cooled spindle on ER 32 collets, it has never had to be run higher than 16000 rpm, In 2015 we had to change the controller from DSP to Mach3 (down time 2 days), In 2017 I fitted new bearings to spindle (downtime 1 week ordering the bearings 2 days fitting) the machine has been run day and night over weeks at a time, from 2012 to date.
    For the different stone, granite, marble, Stone you can use Diamond tools for edge work, roughing out and levelling, Carbide for profile cuts, cutting text in Granite you use PCD (poly crystal diamond) for marble you use PCD or carbide.
    I grind carbide into shapes to use all the time and they cut really well with plenty of water, we cut 2 1/2D highly detailed reliefs in stone memorials.
    In my opinion don't discount the Chinese machines yes there is problems with controllers but this is something you can overcome by using them to earn some extra to pay for a better system.

Phill

Phill, thanks for the info. That confirms my thoughts on the subject. So maybe after all i will use my cutters a couple of times. What feeds and speeds you use with the diamond V cutters?
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

PCD on Granite ramp in slow as cutter is very brittle.

Name:	vtxt.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	27363

On stone you can increase the feeds depending on detail needed.

Name:	he.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	287.0 KB 
ID:	27364

Quote Originally Posted by phill05 View Post
    In 2017 I fitted new bearings to spindle (downtime 1 week ordering the bearings 2 days fitting) the machine has been run day and night over weeks at a time, from 2012 to date.
    Hi Phill, Just out of curiosity how many bearings where in the nose of the spindle because that looks like a longer than standard nose compared to a routing spindle with ER Taper?

Also did you buy the machine as a machine for cutting stone etc. or a general-purpose router.? . . What I'm trying to establish is if the Chinese spec'd the spindle for stone or not. The 3Kw spindle we used didn't last much more than 3 months using Flute routers solely cutting Granite, these.!
    https://granitetools.co.uk/product/g...10mm-diameter/

Have you an idea how much granite work you have done with this spindle, I'm not so much asking about engraving/carving but Fluting and cutting/profiling, etc, I'm curious because I may pursue this type of spindle if it's not a standard routing spindle and you have done plenty of this type of work with it for a sink hole/drainer machine.!

Hi Jazz,

Going back a few years you were the first I asked when we had problems with DSP control.

Shopping list:
    Wet end. 2 off. angular ceramic bearings: outer race..... H7007C.T.P5.UL ESKY *-4* 12E162 41 C.Y.
    inner race... *-3* bearing is 62mm O/D, 34.98mm I/D, 14mm thick.

Dry end. 2 off. angular ceramic bearings: outer race..... H7205C.T.P5.UL ESKY *-3* GERMANY 42 C.Y.
    cannot find any marks on inner race. bearing is 52 O/D, 24.98mm I/D, 15mm thick all taken with a vernier.

No idea total of whats gone through all I can say it has done a lot of work over the years extract below from china paperwork:.

You might be able to find out more on the spindle here:
    JINAN MUNAN IMPORT AND EXPORT CO., LTD
    Address: 3-2-607, NO.101, HUAYUAN ROAD, JINAN, CHINA

1218 Stone engraving machine ,steel
    structure,1200x1800x250mm,stepper motors and
    drivers,two motors for Y axis,X Y geer-wheel,Z axis
    high precision ball screw,linear square orbit,DSP
    control system,water tank,type3 software,5.5kw
    imported bearing water cooling spindle,two water
    pump(one for spindle cooling,one for tool
    cooling),some tools for stone engraving

Phill

I believe a plastic shielding collar ring and plate, similar like plasma torches have for sparks will stop at least all the mess that is going to flow up. And 2 plastic shield at the sides at the height of the gantry to pass freely, will save a lot of cleaning the side rails and bellows.

Anyway, that machine looks very nice.

No one has experience with the impact engravers to share?? Seem simple and cheap to make. Probably the software will have most impact on the result.

the machine bellow seem quite basic. probably there is a faster way to do it with a real servo machine

Anyone any idea about a pneumatic engraver to attach to my machine and do some tests?

project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Hi Jazz,

Going back a few years you were the first I asked when we had problems with DSP control.
    Yes I vaguely remember but I email, PM, chat and speak to a lot people so no idea what I said... Probably along the lines of Dump it...Lol

Shopping list:
    Wet end. 2 off. angular ceramic bearings:
    Well, straight away that's a big difference using ceramic bearings and what I would expect to be in a spindle designed for hard materials. Thou I did expect 4 bearings if I'm honest but suppose for that money it would be expecting a little too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    Anyone any idea about a pneumatic engraver to attach to my machine and do some tests?
    Something like this.? https://www.cncstepusa.com/cnc-dot-p...engraving-tool

Perhaps ask competitors politely where they purchased the equipment or ask for advice? Why solve a problem when a solution has already been found by someone. I am sure that the equipment at the production site, if it was not purchased from another organization under the order, will not be a corporate secret :)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel-J View Post
    Perhaps ask competitors politely where they purchased the equipment or ask for advice? Why solve a problem when a solution has already been found by someone. I am sure that the equipment at the production site, if it was not purchased from another organization under the order, will not be a corporate secret :)
    What you on about.!. . Ask who what.?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information