. .
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Do you think a 'L' Gantry is justified or needed on a 6040 sized machine, or do you think the size doesn't warrant it?

Is 40 x ? Extrusion thick enough for a 6040 Gantry?

Steve

How can anyone answer that without knowing what you are intending to cut with the machine.? . . . Also 40 x ? profile will be very hard to find. .

Now if this helps, the L shaped gantry design is simple and it's strong for the type of machine I designed it for originally, which was a small Strong wood router (6090). However, it's also been used on larger heavier duty machines for cutting Aluminum, etc so it's well-proven.
    To me the little extra it costs and the flexibility it gives along with strength make it worth using no matter what machine. But you could say I'm a little biased, but you could also say "He's built shit loads of machines using it and everyone is happy so it must work well" . . . Or not.!

I was trying to get an idea of the size of Extrusion one would use if designing a L gantry for a 6040 sized machine.Sorry if I was vague. I was referning to the '40' sized extrusion.
    My present incarnation is using 80 x 160 extrusion for the Gantry ( no L section.)
    If I was going to use the L configuration, would I still need to use '80' extrusion or could I get a good result buy just using '40' extrusion in L configuration?

Its a early question that affects the rest of teh design and important to get right.
    thanks for your help.

If it helps, this is what I used on a 1m wide gantry, and is commonly recommend here because of the spacing matching up well with BK12s.

https://www.aluminium-profile.co.uk/...file-kjn990300

Some of the bits I think are important are the heavy duty nature and the associated increases in moment of inertia which can be used to calculate deformation under load.

I've combined two of these into an L, so my gantry occupies 135 x 90.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    If it helps, this is what I used on a 1m wide gantry, and is commonly recommend here because of the spacing matching up well with BK12s.

https://www.aluminium-profile.co.uk/...file-kjn990300

Some of the bits I think are important are the heavy duty nature and the associated increases in moment of inertia which can be used to calculate deformation under load.

I've combined two of these into an L, so my gantry occupies 135 x 90.
    Thanks Andy...It all helps.
    My Gantry will only be about 680mm wide, which is not that far off what yours is , I guess.
    Are both parts of the L usually of the same dimensions to get the required rigidity?

"Required rigidity" is quite subjective. Certainly this design is well tested around here and provides "enough rigidity". You have two options at this point; copy something that works, or do all the maths and arrive at your own answer based on what you want to cut and your machine design.

There's a mechanical deflection spreadsheet around here somewhere, probably in the gantry design threads. You can use that to see how different dimensions on the L will affect the maximum deflection given a standard set of conditions like gantry span and weight of the Z axis. Because your width is smaller than mine if you used the same profile you'd get less deflection for the same Z weight.

I suggest you go and have a play with the spreadsheet to discover the relationships. Ultimately it depends on what tolerances you're happy with.

Quite happy to follow in someone else footsteps...lol

I want to see if there were any examples of 6040 size machine using L Gantries, but none have surfaced yet.

Thanks...will check out the spreadsheet.

I assume I could use fusion to get a idea of distortion under certain loads?
    WIll have a play with that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterob View Post
    Quite happy to follow in someone else footsteps...lol

I want to see if there were any examples of 6040 size machine using L Gantries, but none have surfaced yet.
    Here's a 6040 sized machine and it easily cuts everything up to Aluminium. I've built several machines this size which cut everything from MDF to Carbon fibre parts for RC cars and Clocks which require fine tolerences so don't worry about it being upto the job.

The best profile to use is 45 x 90 because it makes things easier with mounting ball-screws. However, 40 x 80 will work on smaller machine but you'll just need to make plates to mount BK/BF bearings on for ball-screws.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0506.jpg 
Views:	466 
Size:	271.3 KB 
ID:	27435

Thanks guys....just what I wanted to know.
    I'll be using Item24 so will see what sizes they offer.

All the best with your project mate :)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information