Hi All

I want to start producing my own cad drawings and practising the process of creating machining code and very gradually start assembling the experience and hardware necessary to convert a manual mill to CNC operation as I would like to start producing some 2d/3d parts.

I was hoping you guys would be able to suggest a path for me to follow and the systems to use.

To check my current simplified understanding.

1) I produce a drawing 2d/3d in a CAD system and export it as a particular format
2) Import the CAD file into a CAM system which helps/produces G Code (at this point simulations can be done?)
3) The G code file produced is imported into some machine control software that does the doing part of it.

From what I’ve read there are combination programs available, and for a starting point I’d thought of using the Mach 3 software to run the machine.

My questions is where do I start, I was thinking of starting with AutoCAD, is this a suitable starting point? I want to make sure I’m going to start with something that going to be compatible further down the line to make learning easier, I don’t mind buying the software as I currently do a lot of technical drawing for a few other projects that currently a friend often coverts them into CAD drawings for me using solid works, but this is very expensive.

I want the CAD system to capable of designing 2d and 3d parts and be well supported.

Any comments or feedback appreciated

Cheers
Brendan