. .
    I've done lots of searching but I can't seem to find and answer.
    I'm running this vfd with a 1 1/2 blador motor for a 2x72 grinder, and I keep getting an error 6. I'm at a loss for what to change. Thanks for the help.

Here are the motor numbers

VOLTS 208 230/460
    AMPS 5-4.6/2.3
    RPM 3450
    HZ 60
    75 5 % P.F.
    76 %
    PH. 3

You need to find the Error codes otherwise you'll never guess. But I if had to take an educated guess I'd say it relates to acceleration or deacceleration ramp up/down times which are common errors.
    If they are set too short then you'll get over current or voltage errors because it cannot possibly accelerate to commanded speed in short periods but the drive will try it's best to do so and dump in volts or current which then trips in the protection. Same goes for deacceleration.

The error codes will give an indication where to look.

I replied in the other thread, but as you've started another fresh one it makes sense to carry on here. I doubt copying the parameters which were shown in the other thread would work for you as they look tailored for a 2 pole chinese high speed spindle. I very much doubt this motor will run at 400 Hz - might be the error 6 you were getting ?.

Here is a video I made recently which shows what all the parameters mean on this inverter which might get you more familiar with it:

You will need to fast forward to the inverter section of the video. The parameters I've outlined in green on the sheet are the key ones you need to get it going, everything else is for preferences or can be adjusted later.

From the data you have supplied above they key information is:
    Voltage (assume 230 V) ?
    Main / base frequency 60 Hz
    RPM 3450 (which at 60 Hz suggests a 2 pole motor)

The other numbers are power factor, 3 phase motor, etc., and I don't think they are needed in the configuration.

This means:
    P000: 220V (max voltage)
    P001: 60 Hz (main / base frequency)
    P002: 110V (intermediate volts)
    P003: 30 Hz (intermediate freq)
    P004: 0V (lowest volts)
    P005: 0 Hz (lowest freq)
    P006: 70 Hz (highest speed - I'm being conservative, this could be increased to give more speed, but check how fast the Baldor can be run)
    P007: 30 Hz (lowest speed - if you go lower than 60 Hz be aware of additional cooling requirements on the motor)
    P025: 0 (= 2 poles)
    P026: 60 Hz
    P076: set to the maximum current of the motor (4.6A if connected in 230V "Delta", 2.3A if connected in 460V "Y")

The potentiometer on the front will vary the speed between P006 and P007 when the run / stop button is pressed.

Everything else is optional / preferences.
    Last edited by routercnc; 20-02-2020 at 09:00 PM.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Error 6 is for over current. I get the error when I put the motor under load. So when I am grinding hard on something at a higher speed.

Thanks routercnc I'll give it a watch.

OK. Sounds like it is running at least. This inverter is supposed to be good for 12 A, and the motor is either 4.6A or 2.3A. So what is stored in parameter P076 ?

Also change P062 to 3 which will show current draw in Amps on the display (instead of motor frequency). This may give you a clue as to what is going on.

On the accel/decel suggestion - my unit was shipped with very low accel and decel rates by default (50 Hz / s) so the current draw should be low when changing speed, although this depends on the inertia of the grinding disc (and motor armature). To test this out you can make this even slower in P034 & P042 (accel / decel) and set it to 25 or 10 Hz / s in case that sorts it out, then go up from there.

If not double check the parameters above for your motor settings . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    OK. Sounds like it is running at least. This inverter is supposed to be good for 12 A, and the motor is either 4.6A or 2.3A. So what is stored in parameter P076 ?
    P076 says 09500

Under load it jumps to 9.2amps

I changed 76 to 4500....now I got err1 but it didn't go over 4.2

Definitely running better. I can run it under more load than before before and error. Thank you.

Well, here are the error codes:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XSY-AT1 error codes.png 
Views:	700 
Size:	290.9 KB 
ID:	27432

OK, sounds like was over current originally so P076 could go up again but I wouldn't load it too long like this. I don't know what else to suggest as I don't want to damage your motor. The old motors were not so inverter friendly so you could try running it at 60 Hz (3450 rpm) unless it is a newer motor designed for inverters.

Just check the parameters are OK and look inside the motor connection box to confirm how it is wired (unplug first !)

Thread Information