. .
    Lives in Mansfield, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-05-2021 Has been a member for 3-4 years. Has a total post count of 26. Received thanks 3 times, giving thanks to others 22 times.
    Hello all. I've joined because I can see that CNC is the future for the home workshop, especially as the prices of some older machines are falling rapidly.
    My interest is in building working steam models of very early traction engines and also an interest in all things mechanical.
    I have little prior knowledge of using CNC although I used to work for a company that repaired and CNC machined aircraft engine turbine blades and also CNC machined Airbus wing ribs from huge blocks of aluminium.
    I've just bought the book "CNC Milling in the Home Workshop" by Dr Marcus Bowman and am working my way through it.
    I'm also using Fusion 360 to draw up some components.
    Brian
    Sorry about this but it looks as though I've already introduced myself!

Welcome Brian,
    Sounds like you have some interesting experience to share! What sort of scale do you have in mind for the traction engines?
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Lives in Mansfield, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-05-2021 Has been a member for 3-4 years. Has a total post count of 26. Received thanks 3 times, giving thanks to others 22 times.
    Thanks for the welcome. I have built a couple of 3" ones, a Marshall S type road roller and a self designed Fowell Box Patent haulage engine. I was going to build a Burrell-Boydell engine also in 3" but have had to downsize machinery so decided to build the Burrell at 1.5" or 1/8th scale. This is coming along nicely and I'll post a picture when I find out how!
    I still have my original hand drawn drawings of the Fowell-Box and am using them to learn how to use Fusion 360 to make a 1.5" version.
    Brian

3" would be a nice scale. In the early 90s I saw a wonderful engine and working threshing machine in Norfolk which must have been either 3" or 4" scale. Big enough not to look like a toy. A year or two later I spent a weekend leaning how to fire and drive real traction engines and road rollers at Klondyke Mill in Staffordshire. It's amazing how much chaos you can cause on the roads with a convoy of 12 steam engines!
    Last edited by Kitwn; 21-02-2020 at 03:36 PM.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

I live not too far from Klondyke Mill and will be there for their open day in April.
    Here is a picture of the Burrell-Boydell taken recently.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1190654.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	250.0 KB 
ID:	27434
    Brian

Thread Information