. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi I have a pair of 4nm Nema 23's I want to swap on my bottom axis of the router, 4 core CY cable to run off a pair of AM882.

Here's the wiring diagram

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nema 8 wire.png 
Views:	189 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	27439

I want to wire for parallel, guessing 2 wires from the Nema connect to 1 wire in the CY cable but which ones lol?
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Could be any wire you want so long as you connect it to the right phase on the drive but here's what I would use.

Wire # 1 = A+ = Red+Blu
    Wire #2 = A- = Yel + Blk
    Wire #3 = B+ = Wht + Brn
    Wire #4 = B- = Org + Grn

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

The middle one. bypolar parallel
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Could be any wire you want so long as you connect it to the right phase on the drive but here's what I would use.

Wire # 1 = A+ = Red+Blu
    Wire #2 = A- = Yel + Blk
    Wire #3 = B+ = Wht + Brn
    Wire #4 = B- = Org + Grn
    Thanks Jazz, that worked perfectly luckily I twisted the pairs on these motors when I first fitted them so when I swapped the wiring it was super easy to work out the pairs. It worked first time and even both motors went the right way so bonus ;)

I went from being able to move the dual motor axis at 4m/min to over 15m/min without firing fault protect on the AM882's, 20m/min worked but that screw looked scary lol so I dialed it back.

25m/min and it fired fault protect had to try, 1610 ballscrews with cheap ass mounts but am going to buy a set of proper angular ones from BST.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

Quote Originally Posted by Desertboy View Post
    25m/min and it fired fault protect had to try, 1610 ballscrews with cheap ass mounts but am going to buy a set of proper angular ones from BST.
    What controller you using and how many volts. Do you have a ratio on that because at 1:1 that's 2500Rpm.!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    What controller you using and how many volts. Do you have a ratio on that because at 1:1 that's 2500Rpm.!!
    it's 1:1 with couplings, I have 80v PSU self build 1kva and AM882's 1 per Nema which can drive up to 8amp's I believe.

I think the screw whip is just over 2000 rpm for this length so I was surprised it went up to 20m/min.

DDCSV 2.1 I have microsteps set to only 2 at the moment the minimum the AM882's will let you set them from the jumpers.

2*4nm Nema 23's from CNC4you on the bottom axis, 1*3nm on the gantry both fire fault protects when I go over 20m/min but under seem to work but I would never run then that fast lol.

Rest of the machine is not up to the job for sure.

Are those the 4nm NEMA 23s from CNC4YOU with a 4.2 amp current limit? What have you got the AM882 set to?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyUK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    Are those the 4nm NEMA 23s from CNC4YOU with a 4.2 amp current limit? What have you got the AM882 set to?
    Yes they are, and now you ask lol I used the AM882 autotune function on the last motors I just replaced not actually "Autotuned" the new motors so they aren't even close to set up correctly.

Last motors were only 1.8nm so must be out and I did a cut for 30 mins and the motors were cool to touch, need to tune them in to get best performance but motors are stronger than machine lol.

I only built the machine out of 4590 heavy duty extrusion it's not steel.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 23-02-2020 at 08:48 PM.

it's 1:1 with couplings, I have 80v PSU self build 1kva and AM882's 1 per Nema which can drive up to 8amp's I believe.
    Your asking for trouble running at the drives Max voltage. You will damage them at some point if your running at high feeds and happen to catch the mains at a peak the back EMF will fry them.!

DDCSV 2.1 I have microsteps set to only 2 at the moment the minimum the AM882's will let you set them from the jumpers.
    They will run like a grumpy bear at 2 x turn them up to 8x and they will run much smoother, you'll lose a little torque but will run much nicer.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    Andy, just want to clear something up just in case you or others think the drives current rating is a must not exceed the limit or will break.! . . . They are not limited to 4.2a you can actually run them higher and you won't damage them. It's not recommended because you will over time shorten their life because they will run hotter and the gains will be limited so not worth doing. But you won't kill them running a little higher current.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information