. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi. I’ve just stumbled upon these cnc routers and fancy one for making a few hobby bits.

Is there a cheap machine that will do a fair job on a 40x40cm workpiece before I decide to bite the mullet and spend a bit more

Thanks

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by latza View Post
    Hi. I’ve just stumbled upon these cnc routers and fancy one for making a few hobby bits.

Is there a cheap machine that will do a fair job on a 40x40cm workpiece before I decide to bite the mullet and spend a bit more

Thanks
    Latza Welcome to the forum. What have you stumbled on?
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    Hi Latza Welcome to the forum, a link to your intended purchase would be helpfull, also need to know what you are intending to machine and to what precision.
    Regards
    Mike

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mekanik For This Useful Post:

I havnt found a machine yet. I’m contemplating making one. I can fabricate and make things so that’s not a problem but I don’t know anything about the motors and drivers at all

Is there a fairly powerful motor kit with everything in that I can buy and bold to a table

I’d like to be able to fit a 8x4 sheet if possible

7. The Following User Says Thank You to latza For This Useful Post:

Hi Latza,

Strongly advise you to search around the forum and do some research before buying anything. The cheap machine kits you'll see are often not very good, same for kits of components, they nearly always have components that are not correct.

Building a machine isn't difficult if you are handy with tools and can fabricate but it does require planning and good understanding of what you'll need. Do the research before doing anything else and look at other build threads. Then start a build thread of your own and ask all your questions in that thread. This way when people look they can go back and see the whole story.

If you rush out and buy stuff without the research or no plan on machine design then you will 99.9% buy the wrong stuff.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the above.

Is this any good ? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F254518989549

I wouldn’t mind having a little bit play around with a cheap one before I spend the money on making a big one

Nope!

Why entry level machine would anyone recommend

The answer to the question "Is this any good" is NO. . . .BUT . . . . If you said is this any good to learn CNC with then answer is Yes. Just don't expect to do the things you see others do with more polished and better spec'd machines.

Expect that it won't work straight out the box and you will be here asking how to get it working. Also expect that when you do eventually get it working that you will probably spend a lot of your time tweaking or repairing. Expect that it will sooner rather than later blow up a drive or the controller or spindle.???.

So as you see you will learn CNC one way or the other, some times it will work and you'll learn how to cut with it, most of the time it will be broke or frustrating the fu#king daylights out you and you'll learn how to fix a CNC machine.!!

Will it teach you how to build your own or what components you'll need then honestly no it won't. Because they are rubbish and anything used on them you wouldn't want on a decent machine.

Will it enable you to learn how to operate a CNC machine then yes it will, when it's working.! They are actually very good for learnig on because they are cheap, just don't expect too much from them and don't waste any money or time trying to upgrade or make better, because you honestly can't make a Silk purse out of a sows ear.

However, if all you want is to learn how to code and operate a CNC machine then you don't actually need a physical machine, it can all be simulated.
    Most control software will allow you to run in demo mode and will run any G-code you produce just as if it was connected to the machine.
    The CAD/CAM side is something you can and would learn without needing a CNC machine and again any code produced can be Simulated either by G-code Sim program or directly in the controller which would run the physical machine.

Honestly rushing to get a CNC machine is the biggest mistake new people make and it nearly always end's up costing them lots of money or worse put's them off.
    DIY building isn't difficult and you can build a machine that will match many industrial machines for a fraction of the cost, but it can not be rushed or short cuts taken to do it correctly.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 23-02-2020 at 01:47 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    An indication of your budget would help, decent kit costs decent cash, as advised you really need to research the build logs.
    Regards
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information