. .

Thread: Shims

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Anybody else on the forum as cheapskate as me, that uses cut up drinks cans as shimming?

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 31 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    Anybody else on the forum as cheapskate as me, that uses cut up drinks cans as shimming?
    I thought that was the norm
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

I've used shimming foil in a couple of places, £5 a roll.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    I've used shimming foil in a couple of places, £5 a roll.
    I use the shimming foil found in the kitchen -12.5p/metre.

Well yeah - I've used that in a few other places. I just don't think Tesco's dimensional tolerances are up to snuff.... Perhaps I'm just a snob?

Edit: Plus this stuffs bronze. Much fancier.

It has it's uses. When I was leveling the gantry on my machine, I couldn't find any "proper" shim stock that was thin enough to get it nuts-on. Dug around in the fireproofing box and found a roll of appallingly thin kitchen foil from the local pound shop, just the job

I'd use fag paper if it got the job done. The main thing is it doesn't change size.

Aluminium cans are good for shims, with aluminium foil nicked from the kitchen for the decimal places

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    I just don't think Tesco's dimensional tolerances are up to snuff.... Perhaps I'm just a snob?
    Have you tried the Waitrose product?

Is your bronze Spring Tempered, Grade A, Rockwell 30T 76-80 or just the ASDA cheap stuff ?

Seriously though - if I am shimming up with foil, I check the results after reassembly, and only use it where it is actually suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I'd use fag paper if it got the job done. The main thing is it doesn't change size.
    I have seen fag paper used to lift an edge on an angle grinder. That was 60 years ago, it is amazing what impresses you as a kid, enough to make a lasting memory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information