. .
    Hi Folks
    I have built my own CNC table by adding steppers and ball screws onto a cheap standard x/y table https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminste...d-table-400385 . (these used to be available for about a third of that price )
    The intention is then to plant this on the table of my deckel FP1 Mill.

I have got as far as using Mach3 to drive it ( had to install UC100 controller to adapt as My computer is a 64bit model)
    It operates reasonably successfully in Mach 3 using the "off the peg" .tap files included in Mach 3.

I have also managed to manually input instructions to "drive" the table in x and y directions by specified amounts and all is falling into place .

My next step is to write a short G Code routine of my own to execute a small program (maybe a pocket ), and then store it where I can find it ( so that I can call it back when I need it )

Please excuse me if I seem to be asking the obvious!

When I go into the editor it creates a " .txt" file . Is this acceptable for Mach 3 and can I just save it along with the other .tap files incorporated
    Or can I convert it to a ".tap" file
    If someone can lead me by the hand through these processes I would appreciate it , or even link me to a video tutorial

Thanks
    John

You can save your text file with a ".tap" extension - just make sure stupid-windows doesn't then append a .txt on the end of that.

I thought in Mach3 (not used it for ages) that there's a drop-down for file-type, whilst it defaults to .tap you can open files with any extension.

And, yes, G-Code is just plain text.

Perfectly happy to open a txt file.

My PC is is set to 'show' hidden file extensions.
    I just change the extension from .txt to .tap. Then tell windows it's fine if it shows a warning box and jobs a guddun. Simples.
    Not actually tried loading a .txt in mach to be fair. I'll have to try it.
    I guess you can try 'load gcode' then change the looked for extension from .tap to 'all files' so you see every file. Then try loading in a .txt file.

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 50 Minutes Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,725. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Don't worry - Mach3 will load .txt or .tap no problem. I use both, as my CAM programmes generate both of these. Just tell it what you are looking for when you come to load a file. Or you could change the file extension as per earlier comment but it's not really worth bothering.

Hi folks .
    following the above i managed to write and save a g code file .
    As you say it defaults to TXT but I just renamed to .tap .
    Starting to fall into place now .
    Thanks to all.

Hi folks .
    following the above i managed to write and save a g code file .
    As you say it defaults to TXT but I just renamed to .tap .
    Starting to fall into place now .
    Thanks to all.

In the future I wouldn't bother John, it's just as easy to select the file type in Mach3 load screen and select txt or all files. Different programs will create different file extensions so you'll get used to this the longer you have the machine and use different softwares.

Thread Information