Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
The spindle with Mount + BT30 Collet chuck weighs 19.5Kg. Don't forget if you are using dust extraction then you will need to retract the dust hood to allow access for tool change. This will mean adding pneumatic actuators and solenoid valves along with brackets etc and the dust hood its self.!... The weight creeps up fast.
I had not thought about retractable dust shoe. I need to investigate if I will need one!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
Your estimate of 45-50Kg is about right. You will need a brake on the Z-axis motor to stop it dropping when not under power and i'm pretty sure your 180w motor won't handle the weight of ATC spindle.
The moving weight in the Z-axis direction is 25kg and the complete Z-axis will be around 50kg. 25kg will for sure drop when the Z-motor is not under power. Could I use stepper motor brakes on these servo motors?

In the one of the YouTube videos I linked to earlier, one guy is using the same servos and he told me that his Z-axis is around 20kg (I asked). This is only about 5kg lighter than mine and he said it works very well! His axis drops when not under power too.

Anyway as I mentioned earlier, I won't let the servos I have dictate the final design. I will buy new stronger ones if it turns out that they are too weak!