. .
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    I would use HGW bearings rather than HGH, they offer more support.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I would use HGW bearings rather than HGH, they offer more support.
    Got it, that is easy to change. Does this apply for the Z-axis as well?

Quote Originally Posted by NordicCnc View Post
    Got it, that is easy to change. Does this apply for the Z-axis as well?
    Yes and no, Yes if you have room but I only use them on X & Y as it can make the Z a little wide.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

You don't need or want 6 counterbored holes in the lower gantry just use the 3 furthest away from the gantry side and the center front one, you can miss the out the center bolt through the gantry side or put it in but with short threads. Reason being the bolts going through gantry side clash with bolts and it's more important you get good fastening into sides so longer bolts needed. Between them, the gantry is going now were trust me.!

Also with the ball screw spacer plates pay careful attention to fastening bolts and that you can actually access them with BK bearing and screw in place because you'll need to adjust these on the machine when setting alignment etc.

You don't need or want 6 counterbored holes in the lower gantry just use the 3 furthest away from the gantry side and the center front one, you can miss the out the center bolt through the gantry side or put it in but with short threads. Reason being the bolts going through gantry side clash with bolts and it's more important you get good fastening into sides so longer bolts needed. Between them, the gantry is going now were trust me.!
    Good notice! I have corrected that now and I will use shorter threaded bolts for the center ones (red arrow).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gantry bolts.PNG 
Views:	119 
Size:	163.8 KB 
ID:	27604 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gantry bolts 1.PNG 
Views:	140 
Size:	259.8 KB 
ID:	27605

Also with the ball screw spacer plates pay careful attention to fastening bolts and that you can actually access them with BK bearing and screw in place because you'll need to adjust these on the machine when setting alignment etc.
    Yes, I should be able to access those at anytime with current design.

Name:	X-axis fix.PNG 
Views:	134 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	27606 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X-axis float.PNG 
Views:	133 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	27607

I have also replaced the guide carriages with the wider version, as you suggested.

Name:	X-axis wide carriages.PNG 
Views:	154 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	27608 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X-axis wide carriages 1.PNG 
Views:	142 
Size:	195.0 KB 
ID:	27609

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it!

I just noticed the size of the pulley and I'm assuming it's to scale.? Try to keep the pulley size small as possible to keep inertia low but at the same time making sure you have enough teeth engaged so don't get jumping teeth or premature wear. If you must use a large pulley then try to use an aluminium one, again to keep inertia low.

I just noticed the size of the pulley and I'm assuming it's to scale.? Try to keep the pulley size small as possible to keep inertia low but at the same time making sure you have enough teeth engaged so don't get jumping teeth or premature wear. If you must use a large pulley then try to use an aluminium one, again to keep inertia low.
    Yes, the pulley sizes in the pictures are 20T and 40T. How many teeth need to be engaged at bare minimum? I have not yet found any supplier (I am trying to find those pulley's with taper lock) so for now during the design phase, I went with some sizes I could find on Ebay.

Skickat från min SM-A530F via Tapatalk

Yes, the pulley sizes in the pictures are 20T and 40T. How many teeth need to be engaged at bare minimum? I have not yet found any supplier (I am trying to find those pulley's with taper lock) so for now during the design phase, I went with some sizes I could find on Ebay.

20T and 40T is good, it's exactly what I use on one axis. Another handy calculator.

I had to deal with the same issue: finding clamping type aluminium pulleys, either HTD or GT3. From my researches those are rare beasts.
    HTD taper-lock steel pulleys are relatively common, but add way too much inertia to be considered.

I found 2 options:
    - CMT pulleys. The best but expensive, about $60 piece.
    - Misumi, with separate taper-lock and pulley. Slightly less expensive, about $40.

Different manufacturers quote different numbers but I think it's roughly 6 teeth before you have to start lowering the HP rating they can handle.

However, your problem will be the smaller pulley size will limit the number of teeth based on it's Boss size and Motor shaft relationship. 20T / 40T sounds about right with a 14mm motor shaft, if it's 19mm shaft then you may have problems.!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Y-axis design

- 1600mm long, 160x80 (heavy) Item profiles will be used for the sides, onto which the linear rails are mounted. Travel length is approximately 1400mm.
    - 1065mm long, 160x80 (heavy) Item profile is used for the front.
    - 1065mm long, 80x80 (heavy) Item profiles will be used between the 160x80 side profiles. The base frame profiles are mounted together with front/end plates and 80x80 angles.

Name:	Y-axis 1.PNG 
Views:	141 
Size:	327.7 KB 
ID:	27634 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Y-axis 2.PNG 
Views:	139 
Size:	296.2 KB 
ID:	27635 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Y-axis 3.PNG 
Views:	123 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	27636 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Y-axis 4.PNG 
Views:	118 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	27637 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Y-axis 7.PNG 
Views:	119 
Size:	295.7 KB 
ID:	27639

- The plates onto which the guide carriages and the ball screw nut housing are mounted are separated from the gantry. The purpose is to allow some adjustment later when squaring the gantry. It will also separate the aligning process of the Y-axis ball screw and linear rail from the gantry squaring process. This will make the aligning easier.
    - 20mm HIWIN linear rails with wide guide carriages.
    - 2010 ball screws, 1500mm long, with BK15/BF15 bearings.
    - Double Delta 400W servo motors with a 2:1 reduction, to limit ball screw RPM. 20T and 40T timing pulley's will be used. Preferably with taper-lock mounting.
    - Same servo motor brackets, BK/BF bearing spacers and ball screw nut housing concept are used as in the X-axis. Commonality and re-usability is the goal here.

Name:	Y-axis 8.PNG 
Views:	124 
Size:	245.2 KB 
ID:	27638 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Y-axis 5.PNG 
Views:	131 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	27640 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Y-axis 6.PNG 
Views:	138 
Size:	157.4 KB 
ID:	27641

Name:	Y-axis 11.PNG 
Views:	141 
Size:	216.9 KB 
ID:	27643

- The spindle will have a 100mm overhang at when the Y-axis is at the end of the table. The purpose is to be able to mount work pieces vertically, for dovetail machining.

Name:	Y-axis 9.PNG 
Views:	129 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	27644 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Y-axis 10.PNG 
Views:	128 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	27642

- The table surface I am not sure about yet. Either I will install a HDPE sheet or and MDF spoil board.
    - The complete machine will later be mounted to a sturdy metal bench/frame. Adjustable feet will be used.

Name:	Y-axis 12.PNG 
Views:	136 
Size:	289.6 KB 
ID:	27645 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Y-axis 13.PNG 
Views:	144 
Size:	264.4 KB 
ID:	27646

Originally I intended to have the Y-axis linear rails side mounted, to make the footprint as small as possible and to protect the rails from dust and chips. I was informed that alignment is significally harder with side mounted rails, which is why the rails are now top mounted.
    Last edited by NordicCnc; 17-03-2020 at 01:36 PM.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information