. .
    Looking for help on build
    Hi all I have a issue with an CNC controller I am trying to use
    https://www.nvcnc.net/smc4-4-16a16b.html
    Got via eBay and is driving a router table from same source.
    6040 Desktop CNC Router Engraver Milling Machine 3-Axis
    Issue I have is I can drive via the manual buttons but will not run though a DXF file
    Have had the DRO scrolling but no drive to the motors
    I am assuming I have to set some thing up first but not clear in the book or set zeros ?
    Also has anyone using this controller that has a DXF that works in it so can test what is the issue?
    Thanks for any help John

Why do you think it would take a DXF file?

The DXF will have no detail of cutting depths, axis velocities, accelarations, spindle speeds, or anything else.

You need to pass the DXF through a CAM processor.

EDIT: Have a look at CAMBAM, from memory, as an entry point to CAM processing.

Yes understand that issue with DXF am going to use CNC to pull wire from a new fixture on head.
    so head mainly need to fly around a path.
    Have been trying with correct file types downloaded
    I found issue is setup of motors mainly have got movement now but very noisy guessing motor type at moment as still waiting for the information from seller.
    I have to work out how to set head to follow a simple zig zag path that the unit will accept
    Looking for the best software to do so have got solid works hence the DXF file.

CAMBAM will take a DXF file to create a G-Code "TAP" file which the controller will take.

Some controllers will take a DXF file and convert it to G-code, however, you can't just load the file and cut the part because like Doddy says you need to enter other parameters like depth of cut and feed rates, etc.

That said I'm pretty sure this controller doesn't allow you to do this so you will need some other software to convert to G-code.

Attachment 27558

Unable to to save g-code as saying no tool path try to generate but just flashes to quickly to see error ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Bitmap Image.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	27559  

You need to read up a bit about CAM processing, but in a nutshell - you've imported the DXF into CAMBAM okay. Now, what do you want to do with it? I'd suggest clicking the imported path (indicated by "0" in the left/top panel) and creating a machining operation on it. For this, hover and read the tool-tips on the top-right of the screen - the orange buttons. Somewhere in there there should be an "engrave" option - that's basically dragging the spindle to follow the path. That should create an entry under the machining tab - that's the CAM output. Again, from memory, select the "Machining" entry and in the detail below specify the output file - that gets inherited by any child of "Machining" (including the created engraving machining operation). Then from the menu select "Create G-Code" - or whatever it's called.

Sorry, not used CAMBAM for a long while.

EDIT: Whilst you're at it, look at all the parameters associated with the Machining parent, and each child operation - there's a lot to understand and go-at.

Thanks For the help looking better now will try tomorrow on unit to see how works now

Thread Information