. .
    I've had a go at engraving a plaque and I'm quite happy with the result - EXCEPT - I want to make more contrast between my engraved image and the plain plywood I cut this on.

I've tried a few experiments

1/ I first tried cutting with a masking film and then spray painted, but the pain bled along the groove

2/ Next I tried using a paint line along grooves - messy and unsatisfactory

3/ I did try spraying the whole surface black an cutting through - but this gave me a light line against dark and I'm looking for the reverse really

What treatments do you use to get a pleasing finish on your CNC work - I'm planning on working on light oak at the moment . any tips on how to get multiple colours into the finished product ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sleeping D.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	305.3 KB 
ID:	27567

Quote Originally Posted by Britannicus1 View Post
    I

3/ I did try spraying the whole surface black an cutting through - but this gave me a light line against dark and I'm looking for the reverse really

Name:	sleeping D.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	305.3 KB 
ID:	27567
    How about lightly spraying everything black, then skimming/sanding the surface to return the uncarved bits to the original colour? Alternatively laminate some thin light oak onto some dyed wood or dark coloured Valchromat and carve through.

I usually first surface the material, then I engrave 0.5-1mm too deep. After that I paint every thing, byt I try to focus on the engraved part. When the paint has dried I surface the material again, removing the 0.5-1mm. This will give you a nice contour to the engraved part.

Skickat från min SM-A530F via Tapatalk

if you engrave the part using a mask, seal the engraved area with a shellac sealer first before painting it and it wont bleed

cheers sounds like good advice

Quote Originally Posted by johngoodrich View Post
    if you engrave the part using a mask, seal the engraved area with a shellac sealer first before painting it and it wont bleed
    Excellent advice - thanks a lot - made a world of difference - a little surface blurring, but a light sand and a coat of varnish will soon fax that

Before

Name:	IMG_20200301_114304.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	554.7 KB 
ID:	27617

After

Name:	IMG_20200316_111619.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	27618
    Last edited by Britannicus1; 16-03-2020 at 12:40 PM.

Holy Cow!!
    I love your work. Keep going

I normally prefer solid wood rather than plywood. There are numerous reasons for this. However, for newbies, plywood is good for practice. However, the plywood is engineered wood and is made up of layers of sheets, due to which the grains change from layer to layer, making it splinter. For your next CNC work, Oak is great.

Don't forget to give a sealer to the bare wood. In the end, some boiled linseed oil or paste wax is great for finishing.
    Make sure to apply the lighter color first than, the darker shade.
    First, try painting in a newspaper and then go for a final paint on the wood.
    Last edited by Mickey_Smith; 22-11-2020 at 08:16 PM.

Thread Information