. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi MYCNC community,

Im having trouble with getting my spindle to spin up. I don't really have any knowledge of how my machine works and would love some help on this.

Ive attached a couple of pictures of where i think the issue is being caused.

There is a flashing red light on D17 on one of the boards which wasn't showing yesterday.

This light stops flashing if the usb lead is removed.

Thanks for reading.

Any advise would be amazing

Cheers

Ben

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0227.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	313.1 KB 
ID:	29177Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0221.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	320.5 KB 
ID:	29178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0220.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	356.2 KB 
ID:	29179

I'm cautious about offering any advice here, because I fear this could run and run and go nowhere, and you're rather too far away for me to eyeball.

Has the spindle operated in the past?, i.e. is this a newly developed problem, or not? - that'd help us to understand a starting point.

You show an image of the VFD commanding a forward rotation at 400Hz (typically 24k rpm for a 2-pole spindle) - but the spindle doesn't rotate?, that's an alarm bell to me - irrespective of the behaviour of the flashing light on the USB BoB - if the VFD is commanding rotation and the spindle isn't moving, I'd be worried about either the VFD or the spindle. However, I'd expect the VFD to display a fault in either case.

Edit: https://www.automationtechnologiesin...l-v1.17-EN.pdf looks to refer to a similar BoB, with a statement "Status indicator LED can be useful to show the USB connection, and working status by flashing."
    Last edited by Doddy; 22-11-2020 at 11:11 AM.

Thanks Doddy. We have been using the machine every day for several months without any problem with the spindle. We used it on Friday but when we started it up on Saturday it would not spin up. Mach3 shows the spindle should be spinning but it is not. Thanks again. B

So, assuming you're running Mach3, can you enter an MDI command "M3 S18000" and the VFD (the black box connected to the spindle with the red 7-segment display) will display "F300.0" and indicate the "For" LED?, and the Spindle still refuses to spin?

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    So, assuming you're running Mach3, can you enter an MDI command "M3 S18000" and the VFD (the black box connected to the spindle with the red 7-segment display) will display "F300.0" and indicate the "For" LED?, and the Spindle still refuses to spin?
    I have entered the code into mach3. the spindle speed bar is flashing yellow which happens when the spindle is moving.
    The code on the VFD is showing A0000
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0054 (1).jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	293.3 KB 
ID:	29181Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0053.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	414.5 KB 
ID:	29182

Thanks again for your help with this

Cheers Ben

Ugh. Marchant Dice?, I had one of their machines, once.

Curiously - Mach3 is limiting the speed to 2400rpm (that might be your pulley set-up). With the "A" display, you're displaying the current taken by the spindle. The previous post, where your showed a display of "F400.0" was showing the frequency of the motor... The "F" display indicates the frequency driven to the spindle, whereas we can't deduce much from the "A" display (other than the VFD/spindle should be operating). If you hit the (I think) "Shift/>>>>" key to toggle through the displayable parameters, can you get to the "F" display and report the value therein? or press until the LED marked "RPM" is illuminated then report the value there?

Why I'm asking this is to confirm that the VFD is presenting a demand to the spindle (or should be) - and I'm using your first post where you included a photo of the VFD presenting a 400Hz demand to the spindle. In which case we can disregard everything else except the VFD and spindle (and the cabling between).

At that point I'd be recommending that with the power removed you examine the cabling from the VFD output to the spindle, and what I expect is a connector on the end of that cable where it enters the spindle. If you're able to test electrical continuity I'd be asking you to check the spindle coils (if the spindle has a connector on it, again, powered-off, remove the connector, and you will likely find 4 pins - check for low continuity of a couple of Ohms between each permutation of three of the pins (the fourth is likely disconnected). Whilst you have the connector removed from the spindle then check continuity of the cable back to the VFD. My fear is either the VFD or the Spindle is buggered. If you get a similar, low resistance between three pins on the spindle - chances are the spindle is okay, if you have continuity (low resistance) in the cable between the VFD and the spindle, then the cables okay... which leaves the VFD. Testing that is okay if you know what you're doing with a meter, and can work safely at mains voltages. If you know that, and you can set your VFD to 50Hz (looking at the Mach3 screen shot - MDI: "MD S600") then you can work that out for yourself - you're looking for an AC waveform of around 380V (pk-pk) or 240Vrms between the U-V/V-W/W-U terminals on the VFD output - with the spindle connected!

EDIT: Really stupid question - there's no E-stop wired to the VFD is there?... if there was the VFD should display ES, or similar.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Ugh. Marchant Dice?, I had one of their machines, once.

Curiously - Mach3 is limiting the speed to 2400rpm (that might be your pulley set-up). With the "A" display, you're displaying the current taken by the spindle. The previous post, where your showed a display of "F400.0" was showing the frequency of the motor... The "F" display indicates the frequency driven to the spindle, whereas we can't deduce much from the "A" display (other than the VFD/spindle should be operating). If you hit the (I think) "Shift/>>>>" key to toggle through the displayable parameters, can you get to the "F" display and report the value therein? or press until the LED marked "RPM" is illuminated then report the value there?

Why I'm asking this is to confirm that the VFD is presenting a demand to the spindle (or should be) - and I'm using your first post where you included a photo of the VFD presenting a 400Hz demand to the spindle. In which case we can disregard everything else except the VFD and spindle (and the cabling between).

At that point I'd be recommending that with the power removed you examine the cabling from the VFD output to the spindle, and what I expect is a connector on the end of that cable where it enters the spindle. If you're able to test electrical continuity I'd be asking you to check the spindle coils (if the spindle has a connector on it, again, powered-off, remove the connector, and you will likely find 4 pins - check for low continuity of a couple of Ohms between each permutation of three of the pins (the fourth is likely disconnected). Whilst you have the connector removed from the spindle then check continuity of the cable back to the VFD. My fear is either the VFD or the Spindle is buggered. If you get a similar, low resistance between three pins on the spindle - chances are the spindle is okay, if you have continuity (low resistance) in the cable between the VFD and the spindle, then the cables okay... which leaves the VFD. Testing that is okay if you know what you're doing with a meter, and can work safely at mains voltages. If you know that, and you can set your VFD to 50Hz (looking at the Mach3 screen shot - MDI: "MD S600") then you can work that out for yourself - you're looking for an AC waveform of around 380V (pk-pk) or 240Vrms between the U-V/V-W/W-U terminals on the VFD output - with the spindle connected!

EDIT: Really stupid question - there's no E-stop wired to the VFD is there?... if there was the VFD should display ES, or similar.
    Hi Doddy,

Thanks for all this info. Ill work through it now and see what i can find out.

Marchant dice are terrible - i've not been able to get any support from them at all about the machine.

Cheers

Ben

Hi Doddy,

The F display on the VFD is currently showing as F90.00

To the best of my understanding then, the vfd is commanding a rotation on the spindle, but you say there’s no rotation and the indicated current drawn by the spindle is zero. At this point I’d be checking the continuity as above, de powered of course.

A photo of the spindle and wiring to it could be interesting, if not useful.

... and I really am asleep... I was trying to get to F050, which is 1/8 of 400hz, which would be MDI : M3 S300, not 600, sorry. But that’s not strictly important here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information