. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Hello all.

Just finished up this project I've been working on (and off) for a bit.

My usual CZ120 / black resin combo. Imagine a world where every piece of signage was brass / black resin. Expensive? Yes. Highly impractical? Maybe. Making the world a better place? Absolutely - especially with the antibacterial qualities brass possesses... Topical.

Anyway, some pics and some vids:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-02-20 01.58.22.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	513.6 KB 
ID:	27568 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-03-12 10.39.06.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	861.7 KB 
ID:	27569 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-03-12 10.35.19.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	458.8 KB 
ID:	27570 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-03-12 10.37.02.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	448.2 KB 
ID:	27571

Wal.

Looking Bling Bling Mate good job as always.. (Which machine Wal.?)

That looks amazing. May you share your process for sanding/polishing/buffing please?

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Cheers Dean. Your gantry router, mate. Solid machine. Still planning to fit a second Y screw and have all the gear ready to go, just need to get a few things out of the way. Not entirely sure it needs it, but I'm heading that way now. New control box built, with very generous help from Clive (as ever) just need to get the Mesa card set up and talking to the PC.

Quality machine, though..!

Wal.

Stunning work as ever - the tag in the bottom helped me stumble upon your instagram... wow thats a treasure-trove.

After cutting I relax the sharp edges with steel wool and then use Brasso before de-greasing and washing off residues. Then the resin gets added. In an ideal situation that would be that, but often you get a bit of over-spill and you need to sand off the excess and re-polish. If you want the resin to be flush with the metal then you'll need to overfill the pockets and sand back anyway, so don't bother with the pre-polish. Resin, by and large, polishes up well with Brasso, but micro scratches are your enemy. Work through the grades of paper - there's no way around it, a lot of elbow grease needed for a decent job. Finish with Brasso and then to remove the micro scratches use a polishing compound, like 310, and buff buff buff..!

Cheers Andy - thanks for taking a look..!

Thanks for sharing Wal
    Excellent craftsmanship as usual

Quote Originally Posted by Wal View Post
    After cutting I relax the sharp edges with steel wool and then use Brasso before de-greasing and washing off residues. Then the resin gets added. In an ideal situation that would be that, but often you get a bit of over-spill and you need to sand off the excess and re-polish. If you want the resin to be flush with the metal then you'll need to overfill the pockets and sand back anyway, so don't bother with the pre-polish. Resin, by and large, polishes up well with Brasso, but micro scratches are your enemy. Work through the grades of paper - there's no way around it, a lot of elbow grease needed for a decent job. Finish with Brasso and then to remove the micro scratches use a polishing compound, like 310, and buff buff buff..!
    Hi Wal
    If you want to make your life easier get yourself a cotton polishing mop
    https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/abra...olishing%20mop

and some of this stuff https://www.menzerna.com/products/so...per-finish/m5/
    to finish with it's the dogs b+ll+cks the cream menzena pastes are a little more agressive but still give a great finish also Matador brand 7000 grit wet and dry gives a good shine on it's own.
    Cheers
    Andrew

Cheers Andrew,

Yeah, I'm sure that I'm not quite there yet with my approach to polishing. I get decent enough results, but always thinking in the back of my mind it could be that bit better (and perhaps a bit quicker)...

The compound you're suggesting - is it much different from what I'm using at the moment?

https://roar-polishing.com/product/3...-cut-compound/

You're right, I could do with getting myself a polishing machine and some larger hoops - certainly useful for the smaller items I currently polish on my drill press - I've got an irrational fear of getting a patchy finish using hoops on large flat areas - would I be better off with a lambswool bonnet (or equivalent sponge or something) on an orbital for flat stuff like this..? Another friend swears by micro-meshes - I'm talking about the super fine stuff... I guess that's a similar approach to using the Matador 7000 papers.

Therein lies the problem - all of this is done from a place of experimentation - someone ought to establish a twice yearly craft metal polishing course covering metals and paints/resins.

Clearly, it's not rocket science, but like anything - there's a way of doing things properly and it's often the difference between what the layman considers 'good enough' and what you or I, having invested time and effort into a piece of work, consider perfect.

As a related side note - this resin work was done 'out of house' - I don't bother with the larger stuff nowadays - the half hour pot life of my resin is too short to get a decent pour on a large surface with lettering details that need attention. Whilst I'm happy with the resin work that was done, they'd somehow managed to miss a couple of patches of over-spill onto the border and also introduced/omitted to buff out some pretty bad micro-scratches into the metalwork. Whilst they considered it to 'look great' - I had to re-polish the lot before I was happy enough to consider it worthy of passing on to the guy I made it for. Here's a pic of how it came back from the shop, judge for yourself...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_195616638362745.jpeg 
Views:	356 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	27573

Anyway, I'm rambling - but my point is that to a certain extent quality takes time and effort.

Did I complain about the scratches? Did I b*llocks - people just look at you like you're bonkers nowadays.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information