. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    To answer the OP, just get some of the 4 jaw crimpers that eBay is awash with, and make sure you give them a good squeeze when crimping the bootlaces on.

The main key to a good crimp, is to use the correct size of crimp for the wire.
    You should always be using the smallest crimp that will fit the wire.

One issue I see far too often, is everybody likes to default to blue insulated crimps (they're designed for 1.5 - 2.5mm˛ cable), when they should be using red ones (for 0.5 - 1.5mm˛ cable), which means they don't crimp correctly and you end up with bad connections.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    One issue I see far too often, is everybody likes to default to blue insulated crimps (they're designed for 1.5 - 2.5mm˛ cable), when they should be using red ones (for 0.5 - 1.5mm˛ cable), which means they don't crimp correctly and you end up with bad connections.
    For the cat5 flex I use the white But not sure if there is any stardard

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	27580
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

I think some confusion between the ferrule colour coding and the spade terminal ("automotive") crimps.

Both of you are right, but you're talking cross-purposes :)

Bootlace Ferrules are great....i would think most professionals use them :)

On very small multi strand cables I use a ferule that just allows the insulation through, I then fan the strands and fold them back over the ferule and use another ferule over the top. this gives a good grip on the insulation and a good contact. Bit fiddly but works for me.

Lives in Cambridge, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12-02-2024 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 83. Received thanks 3 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Thanks all - and especially Wal, for taking the time to send pictures! That helped explain a lot to me, having not really seen many bootlace ferrules actually in use.

I took at look at the ferrules in my Novamill after that, and was surprised to see they were pretty much flat! Maybe that's what you get from the simple two jaw crimpers?

Anyway, I feel a lot happier now just buying a of basic crimping tool, and knowing it should do what I need. Definitely a neat way to deal with the wiring, just being sure that a good joint is formed each time - that sounds like the key from what several of you have said. And if that means taking care to use the right size of ferrule - or use more sophisticated techniques for very small wires (thanks Johnsattuk) - then that is fine.

Many thanks for all the feedback.

Graeme

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information