. .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Lives in Lytham St. Annes, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Hours Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 423. Received thanks 61 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Me too - started out designing switched mode power supplies in the early 80s, now developing 800V 200kW EV drives. That involves switching tens or hundreds of amps and hundreds of volts within fractions of a microsecond within centimetres of "quiet" circuits. Making analogue and digital control circuits work reliably in the middle of a maelstrom of switching noise requires good understanding and design practice. Similarly, getting the emitted / conducted noise levels down to required levels can be very tricky. Optos are one way out but expensive and messy. They are generally only used where safety isolation is required.

Trying to filter noise out using software is a real bodge. Better to stop the noise getting to the micro to start with. Software filters never work the way you might imagine, as noise isn't a sine wave. Tackle it at or near source, rather than deal with the effects where they aren't wanted. Rather like tackling a barking dog, better to muzzle or strangle it than wrap the kennel and your head in blankets

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzer View Post
    Rather like tackling a barking dog, better to muzzle
    Is that "Muzzle It" or "Muzzer it"... I find a swift kick in the Bo!!@K$ works well. It's shite for a CNC machine but stops noise from dogs well enough.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Hi Doddy,
    Thanks for sharing your experience - yes I take on board everything you have mentioned. I have yet to venture into installing the endstops on my cheap little hobbycraft :) machine..

Retrofitting endstops on these cnc3018 machines requires the fabrication of yet more cheap plastic parts to hold the micro-switches in place. This requires even more complexity in the form of getting hold of a 3DP and my thinking was to avoid it all together for my machine.

I moved into computers as all the manufacturing moved to the East, so never really got the opportunity of applying may of the principals I learnt. Back in those days, I was using a CNC machine to run batch drilling of printed circuit boards and now that I gotten out of borring computers and software systems. I thought why not get myself a small hobby cnc and keep my brain ticking.. I am actually a Brit who mirated to Western Canada a few years ago.

Lives in Lytham St. Annes, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Hours Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 423. Received thanks 61 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Is that "Muzzle It" or "Muzzer it"... I find a swift kick in the Bo!!@K$ works well. It's shite for a CNC machine but stops noise from dogs well enough.
    I'm afraid we had those uninstalled some time back. He keeps looking for them mind!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
    I am actually a Brit who mirated to Western Canada a few years ago.
    I moved out to BC with my family back in 2010 (North Van, Grouse Mtn, top of Capillano) and we stayed for 5 years. Loved all the snow sport, sea sport, camping, wildlife and accessible outdoors. I'm now huddling on the edge of the Irish Sea.

Miss the place like hell but we had mothers, sisters, cousins etc back here and the place was becoming too expensive for the young generation unless they lived out towards Chilliwack. Obviously I moved my entire workshop out there and back again, as its my life's work. I wish they'd hurry up with that time machine, as I'm impatient to go back to 2010 and do it all over again. I almost cry now when I see acquaintances posting stuff from there.

Yes, I am just hanging in Central Lonsdale and it has become a paradise for the wealthy retirees, folks who do not need to go to work :) I am too old for the skiing and outdoor activities. But the locals are being squeezed out to the outskirts to Surrey, Langley, Abbotsford, with Chilliwack being outside of the Metro area. I too have a mother and brother and I am in the process of returning back to be close to loved ones in their final years.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information