. .

Thread: pip

Lives in Lincoln, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 06-04-2020 Has been a member for 2-3 years. Has a total post count of 4.
    hi new member thank you for letting me join the cncUK skills with cnc NONE but hopping to learn, brought a boxford 160 a couple of years ago, running mach 3 , got the motors running rather smoothly could be better, the boxford has an 8 auto tool changer ( turret) my biggest problem is i can't get it to turn at all, got the sign up tool change, but nothing happens, tried code T0101 T0202 etc, etc, up to 8 still nothing, am i using the right codes ? M6 works to tell the unit to change tool..knowing nothing about cnc doesn't help to the point it's nearly gone out for the scrap man..frustrating is an understatement..thank you.

Hi Pip, and welcome to the forum.

First things first, and before the greater and better drag their arses out of bed - you mention a Boxford 160 - I expect this is a lathe?, and it's been converted to Mach3?

That conversion is going to have introduced a whole bunch of unknowns in terms of how the conversion has been implemented. From the outset I'm going to say that I have no knowledge of that machine or the controls around the tool changer, and even someone that knows the machine won't know how the conversion has been done, so I'd recommend getting some decent photos together around the toolchanger (so we have some notion of what sensors/switches there are) and particularly around the control electronics, break-out board (BOB) and so on. The more information you can offer the more chance that someone will be able to offer some insight or help.

Lives in Lincoln, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 06-04-2020 Has been a member for 2-3 years. Has a total post count of 4.
    agree 100 % going to do that thank you for advice sound advice...

Quote Originally Posted by pip View Post
    M6 works to tell the unit to change tool..knowing nothing about cnc doesn't help to the point it's nearly gone out for the scrap man..frustrating is an understatement..thank you.
    I'm Setting aside all the Mach3 conversion etc Doddy mentions and assumes it's done correctly because of your getting motion.

If you are using the standard M6 macro then that's where your problem lies. To use an ATC you need a custom M6 macro with all the relevant details like, number of tools, rotation degree's and any I/O it's using to sense position etc that relate to your machine. Without it nothing will happen because Mach3 knows nothing about your ATC.

If you have an ATC M6 Macro then have you turned on ATC in general config (top left coner).? It could be set to ignore tool change.!

thank you it's not on ignore tool change, on auto you say custom M6 MARCO that's more to the point, but i'm thinking how ?

thank you it's not on ignore tool change, on auto you say custom M6 MARCO that's more to the point, but i'm thinking how ?
    To write a custom macro you need to know how to program in Visual basic and the commands and functions that mach3 uses. Also whoever writes it will need to know your system setup regards Inputs and Outputs and type of ATC your using.

If you are new to Mach3 and not into programming, then it's something you'll probably need a lot of help with or be prepared for a massive learning curve and a few machine crashes.!

Or if you can find someone who as a similar setup and is prepared to share their M6 macro with you it would save a lot of time. You would still most likely need to modify it to suit your setup regards I/O etc because often with retrofits no two machines are the same, but it would save you lots of time and effort.

If you can't find anyone willing to share then I'm happy to help you and can write an M6 macro but I need to know more about the machine and setup. It will also need a lot of testing and tweaking before you try to make parts with it so it won't be a quick thing to do.

Post some pictures of the ATC.

Also attach the XML file for your mach3 profile and I'll take a look. If the system say's cannot use that file type just rename it with .txt on the end.

out of my League i'm thinking better of selling it to someone with a bit of savi and starting a fresh with something working mind you live in lincoln might or could try the engineering college we have might be someone their training who could help..thank you for your help.

out of my League i'm thinking better of selling it to someone with a bit of savi and starting a fresh with something working mind you live in lincoln might or could try the engineering college we have might be someone their training who could help..thank you for your help.
    If you want to throw it in the car and bring to me in Goole I'll take a look for you and get it going. You'll obviously need to leave it with me but I'm more than happy to do it.

Thread Information