. .
    Hi all, had a lathe for a while now and have decided to get a mill. Probably going to be a Weiss WMD25V.
    http://www.weiss.com.cn/products/wmd25v.php

Just a few quick questions.
    1. Anyone had any experience of CNC conversion for this mill?
    2. Are there any good books for beginers that would help a novice with CNC conversion?
    3. I'm after some free CNC software to get used to before I commit to parting with cash and buy the mill and conversion equipment. What would you reccomend?

2. Quote Originally Posted by I need a dog View Post
    Hi all, had a lathe for a while now and have decided to get a mill. Probably going to be a Weiss WMD25V.
    http://www.weiss.com.cn/products/wmd25v.php

Just a few quick questions.
    1. Anyone had any experience of CNC conversion for this mill?
    2. Are there any good books for beginers that would help a novice with CNC conversion?
    3. I'm after some free CNC software to get used to before I commit to parting with cash and buy the mill and conversion equipment. What would you reccomend?
    Hi and welcome...

The WMD25V table wise is very similar to other mills of the RF25/RF30/Warco/Chester etc persuasion and there are several here that have been converted - look for threads by Robin Hewitt and Bill Todd by way of example. The vertical axis on these is a lot simpler than the round column versions however you still have the choice of motorising either the head movement or the quill... most opt for the quill so in that case there is much similarity as compared to CNC'ing the round column units.

I am not aware of any books that cover this specific subject, but have a look at the threads on here and also on CNCZone. There is a site here thats details a conversion of an RF45 clone, the bigger version I think of yours.

Thread Information