. .
    Hi all,

Just began purchasing my parts for my DIY router. I've currently got a K40 laser, 3D printer that I built and a Chinese 3040 CNC that I want to replace with my own build. I've got a 2.2kw watercooled spindle and here's some very early design drawings (the frame is 50x50x3mm mild steel), my work area is 400mmx300mmx150mm. I've lurked here for a few weeks and this place seems like a really friendly and knowledgeable place :)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	current design1.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	27654

Name:	current design2.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	27655
    Last edited by eci22; 20-03-2020 at 09:04 PM.

Hi eci22
    Welcome to the forum.
    First piece of advice is not to purchase any motors or power supplies, get your design finished and offer it up for critique from the forum members, need to know what you intend on machining and size of workpieces you will be working on.
    Regards
    Mike

Welcome to the forum. You will indeed find plenty of wisdom collected here.

I like the simplicity of your design. Others will comment on the face mounted rails but it does make for a simple Z-axis if you have limited tools available. I assume the brown stuff is not meant to look like plywood.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

I'd suggest you brace the gantry because it will flex and resonate like a bell when cutting if you use a single piece of box section that tall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Hi eci22
    Welcome to the forum.
    First piece of advice is not to purchase any motors or power supplies, get your design finished and offer it up for critique from the forum members, need to know what you intend on machining and size of workpieces you will be working on.
    Regards
    Mike

Hi Mike,
    Thank you. I have not purchased any of the motors or electronics and will only be getting them once the design is finalised and the frame has been built. I did go ahead and purchase the steel since amazon is selling 3m of 50x50x3 box for £23 delivered which seems like a bargain, the spindle I also pulled the trigger on since I've been watching them for a while and it fell to a good price before import tax and customs got me :/

Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    Welcome to the forum. You will indeed find plenty of wisdom collected here.

I like the simplicity of your design. Others will comment on the face mounted rails but it does make for a simple Z-axis if you have limited tools available. I assume the brown stuff is not meant to look like plywood.
    Thanks Kitwn, I have started a separate thread regarding the rails here http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/13497...arings-designs

The brown stuff is actually wood, specifically melamine MDF. I am thinking, at this early stage, as a way of leveling out the steel to mount the rails on MDF as it's 5x cheaper than Epoxy and in theory should be really flat though how flat remains to be seen- and I already have it around. If it does not work I will switch back to epoxy or something but I feel it may be an interesting experiment, will likely start a new thread for this at some point

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I'd suggest you brace the gantry because it will flex and resonate like a bell when cutting if you use a single piece of box section that tall.
    Thanks for the suggestion JAZZCNC, I didn't show the X axis well enough, it's two pieces of box steel that should help with resonance? Also definitely planning on adding some bracing

Name:	xaxis_design_A.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	27660
    Last edited by eci22; 21-03-2020 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eci22 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion JAZZCNC, I didn't show the X axis well enough, it's two pieces of box steel that should help with resonance? Also definitely planning on adding some bracing

Name:	xaxis_design_A.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	27660
    The design as you show it isn't strong enough for a gantry and it will flex/resonate. 50mm box section with 3mm wall is like spaghetti so you will really need to brace it good with nice high up triangulation.

Quote Originally Posted by eci22 View Post
    Hi Mike,
    I did go ahead and purchase the steel since amazon is selling 3m of 50x50x3 box for £23 delivered which seems like a bargain

I've no comments on your build but thanks for the heads-up on Amazon - my usual go-to (TheMetalStore) is significantly more expensive on box-section (like 40% on top) before you even start to look for free delivery - so that might be a new option for low-volume stuff.

Thread Information