. .

Thread: mdf3790 plans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hi all i have purchased the plans for a mdf 3790, the problem is i cannot seem to work out the sizes as i wish to cut the parts with my cnc. it will not cut them as it says the timber is 200mm x 120mm. how do i find the correct size of these items, and how do i resize them..thanks...will

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    hi all i have purchased the plans for a mdf 3790, the problem is i cannot seem to work out the sizes as i wish to cut the parts with my cnc. it will not cut them as it says the timber is 200mm x 120mm. how do i find the correct size of these items, and how do i resize them..thanks...will
    You need to give more info. What says the timber is 200x120 and what size should it be? what cad and cam are you using
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Come on dude help us out a bit, how the hell can we answer without more info on the plans or the part.? Give us something to work with.

Also why the hell would you want to build a machine from MDF is beyond me when you have a CNC machine already.!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Come on dude help us out a bit, how the hell can we answer without more info on the plans or the part.? Give us something to work with.

Also why the hell would you want to build a machine from MDF is beyond me when you have a CNC machine already.!
    chill out mate..im new to this

hi there im using aspire and when i open the dxf file in it says 200 x 120 may be i could email the file to you

chill out mate..im new to this
    I am chilled out good luck.!

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    hi there im using aspire and when i open the dxf file in it says 200 x 120 may be i could email the file to you
    Well you are not helping yourself. If you can't be bothered to answer the questions I can't either.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

The dxf should import into Aspire at the correct size it was drawn at if it is not you can resize it to whatever you want.

DXF files do not always contain the "units" - it will just have something marked as "150" for example, withouit telling you if it's mm, inches, or miles. You have to set units in Aspire (if it's anything like Vcarve, which it probably is). Assuming that the DXF file also has only the parts, not the panel outline from which they are being cut, you also need to set the panel stock size in Aspire and import the DXF and position it on the stock. Might be where your problems are. Or maybe not, as your original question left out a lot of info - as requested by others!

I echo the "Why MDF?" qiuestion. My first CNC router was also built from MDF. All the structural integrity of cold-rolled cow dung. It were crap. Daily readjustment of all bearings to cope with frame warp, etc. I actually did quite a bit of useful work on it and it taught me a lot (which is why the Mk2 is welded steel). Still crap, though.

I put mdf3790 into a search engine and it took me here http://grunblau.com/MDF3790.html . Looks like a moving gantry machine with a single central leadscrew. It seems that the drawings are supplied in pdf format.I don't believe I know of any CAM system that will generate a toolpath from a pdf and given the anatomy of the machine I don't think I would be bothering anyway.Particularly if I already had a working CNC machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information