. .
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    My current system involves going into the IP/M configuration dialogue, turning off slaving, running a custom macro that homes both X and A simultaneously, and then turning slaving back on. In principle this is more accurate as you can use the "home offset" feature to make fine adjustments to the gantry position at each end to get it square and use that to repeat accurate squaring each time. But it's a clumsy process, particularly if you forget one of the dozen or so mouse clicks needed to do it.
    This can be done without going into the Plug-in by using outputs to disable the drives enable signals and homing each side a few times. It's possible to make it measure the difference between switches and calculate how far to move each side and then Zero out. Then turn the drives enables back on.
    This is basically all the IP-S does, but it does this internally inside the plug-in, it's easy enough to write a homing macro to do the same.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

That sounds reasonable - I can see how that would work. The code wouldn't be that difficult. If I had known about it when I first set the machine up, I might even have done it! At the moment the drive enable signals come via the safety relay (which also switches the e-stop input to the IP/M and switches mains to the stepper PSU via a contactor - belt, braces and electric trouser hoist). Given that my ET6 should arrive in a few weeks, though, I don't fancy grubbing about in the control box to do the rewiring. I think it would also need X and A home switches in series to the same IP/M input so that the macro could home either axis by disabling the other while telling it to home the master/slave pair. More rewiring on my machine would be needed!

But thanks for the comment - I'll keep that one in the back of my mind.

Hello Dean,
    In a lot of post you talk about CSMIO controller. Are you going to switch to Puruvesi controller, what the pros/cons of ET6/7 over the CSMIO IP/S ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    Hello Dean,
    In a lot of post you talk about CSMIO controller. Are you going to switch to Puruvesi controller, what the pros/cons of ET6/7 over the CSMIO IP/S ?
    Hi Gustave,

At the moment I'm still using Cslabs controllers and they are an excellent controller but the weak link is Mach3. And because it's not being supported any more then it's getting left behind and likewise, Cslab's are not supporting it either and concentrating on Mach 4 and there own software, both of which I don't like. So this is mostly why I'm looking to move away, It has nothing to do with the controller and the IP-S is an excellent controller.

Regards the ET6 then you can't really compare it to the IP-S as it's more in line with the IP-M regards I/O etc but with a few nice added features like Gantry squaring.

The ET-7 is more in line with the IP-S and again it as few extra added features that you may or may not need like encoder inputs for things like MPG's or reading linear encoders, etc. These would be extra for the IP-S.

If I was looking for a card today and needed the extra I/O this price range offers then between the two I would go for the ET7. If I didn't need the extra I/O then I'd go with the ET6.

But I still haven't tested this card ET7 other than on the bench so please don't take this as a recommendation because it's not and I wouldn't recommend anything unless I've fully tested and used them my self on a machine for a good few weeks or months.

I'll also disclose that I've had issues getting it to work with windows 10 and it would only work with windows 7 and even then it wasn't stable.
    However, this was just around the time this corona started and Ivan at puruvesi was very very helpful at the time and we arranged for an engineer to help with getting me working but all hell broke loose at my end as granddaughter caught COVID19 virus (she's Ok thank the lord) and I haven't returned to it since because life stopped for a good few weeks and now I'm playing catch up.
    I'm pretty sure it will turn out to be something of nothing and I will get it working when I get back on it.

My ET6 arrived yesterday and I'm in the middle of doing a brain transplant on my control box. Wasn't easy removing the IP/M - who builds a DIN rail fitting box without access to the latch underneath? Anti-theft device? I had to remove the DIN rail to take the thing out. I have built a new mounting for the ET6 as it is a bare board rather than boxed item, but it looks as if the current wiring that went to the IP/M is going to fit the ET6 without major work. Shall report back when it's all working.

Now, there's confidence...

You just push against the din rail and the opposite side of the spring flips out of the din rail.

Are you using windows10 or 7.? If so did you have any trouble getting them to connect.? And is it stable.? I still havent got it to work with win10 and it's not stable on win 7.!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    You just push against the din rail and the opposite side of the spring flips out of the din rail.
    Another statement of the bleeding obvious that I totally failed to see. Unfortunately, it wouldn't have worked for me due to the fact that I mounted the IP/M box and its terminal adaptors so close that I couldn't remove either of them as they were hard up against each other. Do you think that one day I shall learn from my own experience? Seems unlikely, though...

Haven't yet tried the thing as I don't have a spare 24V supply and if all else fails I can restore the IP/M without too much effort. Fingers crossed, another mug of strong coffee, and back to the wiring.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't have worked for me due to the fact that I mounted the IP/M box and its terminal adaptors so close that I couldn't remove either of them as they were hard up against each other. Do you think that one day I shall learn from my own experience?
    Neale I'd like to say "YOU MUPPET" but that would be hypocritical of me because I've lost count of how many I've fitted and I still put the bloody terminal adaptors too close together trying to max out space and can't get the buggers off again...Lol

Clearly, I'm in good company, then!

But if you want another laugh - I bolted the ET6 in place, connected power and ethernet connections only so I could start on the config process. Plug into extension lead, turn on front panel switch. Nothing, Ah, internal MCB is off. Flick lever. Bang, flash, MCB tripped. Shout from wife in sitting room - "the power's gone off!". Interestingly, took out the 10A MCB in the cabinet, 32A MCB in the consumer unit, plus 100A RCD covering all house rings. 13A fuses in extension lead and cabinet mains lead still OK. Sums up my approach to fuses - they really are the last resort when all else has failed!

Cause was one of those little thing that could happen to anyone. After isolating cable between MCB and mains switch (which is after MCB), the cable was still shorted to earth. I had had to remove the nuts securing the mounting panel in the cabinet and on replacing one last night, I managed to catch the mains cable under it. The nut has a built-in shakeproof washer which comprehensively mashed the insulation.

Still, the board is now talking to my Win10 laptop first time, and I'm starting "ports and pins" configuration via the MyCNC user interface..

Still, the board is now talking to my Win10 laptop first time, and I'm starting "ports and pins" configuration via the MyCNC user interface..
    Crazy that because I can't get it to do anything with my Win10 on a nice fast PC with a fresh install. It works on my Win7 setup Laptop which I set up every machine on and is a rock-solid setup with a high spec graphics card, i7 processor with loads of memory but it's flaky and crashes all the time.!!

This was just before Covid19 hit us and then my grandaughter caught it so I haven't looked at it since but I must get back onto it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information