. .
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Also your opinion of MyCNC and support? - their help forum looks to still be in its infancy.
    Oh and regards the forum then you may have missed the English speaking side which you will see is a little more grown up.

http://forum.pv-automation.com/viewforum.php?f=9

This 3mhz is per channel or is divided by the motor count?

I remember i looked at them in the past, don't remember what put me off then. Price may be.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    This 3mhz is per channel or is divided by the motor count?
    Yes It's per channel I believe.

Hope your safe over there Boyan, looks like spain is in a little bit more of a mess than we are here regards death toll. Stay safe mate.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 30-03-2020 at 10:52 PM.

I've been taking a closer look at these cards (well, actually the ET6) as I continue to get annoyed by silly little things with my Mach3/CSMIO-IP/M/wireless pendant setup. One thing that concerned me and which is a bit of a pain with the IP/M is gantry squaring. Looking at their web site and a downloaded copy of the MyCNC software, it looked as if this would work OK but I couldn't see if it could handle software gantry squaring adjustment or would need mechanical alignment of the home switches. Couldn't find anything in the documentation, searching for words like master/slave axes, so asked them the question. Then I had a prowl around their support forum to see if anyone had asked before, and by following an odd link in a slightly relevant post, I found that the documentation does include some info on gantry squaring. Pages and pages of it, including blow-by-blow descriptions of the associated macros, and even a video clip (11 minutes of it!) showing a couple of different methods of doing it. It does everything I would want it to do, and then some. And I have never, ever, seen quite so much detail provided in a manual. So apart from the fact that it is incredibly well-hidden, it's great!

At the moment, every time I start up my machine, I have to go into the CSMIO config page, disable axis slaving, run a custom homing macro that allows for gantry squaring, back into CSMIO config and re-enable slaving, then I have to jog each of the three axes off the home position with the pendant (not Mach3, not by running any gcode) or I get limit switch messages as soon as I move anything. Then there's the random soft limit errors, sometimes before a job will run, sometimes after a tool change. Suddenly, $400 for a board plus management software that is electrically compatible with what I have doesn't seem like such a bad deal...

After a session yesterday bitching at my machine with its clumsy gantry squaring/homing process and various other issues, I've ordered an ET6. My requirements are a bit different to Dean's as I'm looking for a one-off replacement for an existing controller rather than something that might need to be used for a whole series of different machines/users.

I am optimistic that it's going to be a fairly straightforward replacement for the current IP/M, apart from being a bare board that will need some kind of mounting fabricated. Electrically similar with 24V operation, differential signalling to stepper drivers, etc. I've spent a bit of time reading the documentation; downside compared with Mach3 is that it looks a bit more fiddly to configure the software but upside is more functionality and flexibility. And that screen layout looks a shoe-in for a touchscreen monitor in due course, which would be smaller and neater than what I use today. We shall see...

Squaring must be done with a push of a button. Or not at all, as manually i will slave them faster. On mine machine i slave them manually as my endstops are squared and by hand i move one side until led lights on. It's not ideal but at least saves me my nervous system dealing with not well thought controllers

Squaring must be done with a push of a button. Or not at all, as manually i will slave them faster. On mine machine i slave them manually as my endstops are squared and by hand i move one side until led lights on. It's not ideal but at least saves me my nervous system dealing with not well thought controllers
    Rubbish.!! . . . If the controller is set up correctly then it works perfectly fine every time. Simply push the Home button and it's done. I can tell you without hesitation you won't Home and square faster than any machine with a properly setup system.

Neale is trying to force the controller to do something it's not designed to do which is why he's struggling. The IP-S which does have the system works perfectly every time and homes/squares in a blink of an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Rubbish.!! . . . If the controller is set up correctly then it works perfectly fine every time. Simply push the Home button and it's done. I can tell you without hesitation you won't Home and square faster than any machine with a properly setup system.

Neale is trying to force the controller to do something it's not designed to do which is why he's struggling. The IP-S which does have the system works perfectly every time and homes/squares in a blink of an eye.
    Ehh, rubish. What did i say above. It must be done with a push of a button. But if you want to argue with me even we both say the same thing then you are welcome

Ehh, rubish. What did i say above. It must be done with a push of a button. But if you want to argue with me even we both say the same thing then you are welcome
    Ok I miss read what you meant, I thought you meant must be done and quicker by jogging..
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

One of my problems is that I am using the IP/M which supports dual axis machines but does not do gantry squaring. To do that, you pay a lot more money for the IP/S. Originally, when I turned the machine on, I homed it using the standard Mach3/IP/M homing routine. X and A axes move together but you cannot guarantee that the gantry is square. So, I hit e-stop to take power off the motors, turned the A motor by hand until the LED on the proximity switch went out/came on (copying the Mach3 homing routine), then reset and rehomed again. That is OK but it was difficult to be exact, partly because when X homes it then moves the axis a short distance (1mm, I think) to move it away from the prox switch but I was never sure exactly how much to move the A axis to match.

My current system involves going into the IP/M configuration dialogue, turning off slaving, running a custom macro that homes both X and A simultaneously, and then turning slaving back on. In principle this is more accurate as you can use the "home offset" feature to make fine adjustments to the gantry position at each end to get it square and use that to repeat accurate squaring each time. But it's a clumsy process, particularly if you forget one of the dozen or so mouse clicks needed to do it.

I have other problems with my machine setup as well which I believe are due to interactions with my wireless pendant as well at the firmware/plugin level - each of the components works fine by itself and it's just that combination that gives trouble.

So, I've tried "simple but not very accurate", "accurate but fiddly", and now I want to do "quick and accurate"!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information