. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lives in Lytham St. Annes, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 423. Received thanks 61 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Yes, Fusion comes with true simultaneous multi axis milling for free. The main issue for hobbyists is that they can't get access to suitable machinery, so it's rather academic. You'd also have a challenge coming up with your own multi axis post processor. But that's just the last step in the journey I'd imagine.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Think that would be my approach as well but using a mixture of precision granite surface plates for the surfaces fastened to aluminum structure for positioning/angles etc then cast around these with epoxy granite to give the vibration mass and finished structure.? Think it will be easier this way than trying to cast precision surfaces at the correct angles etc. What ya think.?
    My plan would be to cast the base, then do the finish machining off the rails once cured.
    The other option would be to machine everything prior to casting, then have an internal metal structure to hold everything in alignment, but I'm guessing over a 3-4 foot bed length, there is always going to be some level of movement as things cure.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    My plan would be to cast the base, then do the finish machining off the rails once cured.
    The other option would be to machine everything prior to casting, then have an internal metal structure to hold everything in alignment, but I'm guessing over a 3-4 foot bed length, there is always going to be some level of movement as things cure.
    Suppose it's all down to what machines you have to help with the machining.?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Suppose it's all down to what machines you have to help with the machining.?
    A mill with a 40"x10" table, with ~27"x~15" travel, provided I actually get it working.
    I just need two more servos and drives, and I think I've got all the major bits needed to get it functional, but I've got a few other projects I want to get finished first.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    A mill with a 40"x10" table, with ~27"x~15" travel, provided I actually get it working.
    I just need two more servos and drives, and I think I've got all the major bits needed to get it functional, but I've got a few other projects I want to get finished first.
    Ye I'm in a similar position I've got the Semco with 1100mm x 450mm travel, the beds about 1250 x 400 I think. Also Fadal VMC with 500 x 400 travel with bed around 650 x 400.
    Fadal is closest to working just sat waiting for motors and controller but the Semco only needs rebuilding and electronics. But with the current state of things and not being able to work then both will be on the back boiler for a good while.!

Thanks, lots to take in since I last looked. The ML10 and Centec mill column were initially for a mock up and to get an idea of size and possible axis locations. They do offer a quick fix tho to the mass and damping. When I started a while back, I was looking at a phased build up but now with more input it might be better to start from scratch.

I don't have access to the size of machine that guys do tho. I've got a Warco WW18 and a Nova mill.

So putting the Cam to one side and sorting the mechanicals I guess I would be looking at:

• An indexing and 4000rpm sliding lathe head with 5C auto collet

• rotating Bt30 milling head with ATC

• 8 station lathe ATC

• stock puller

• automated tail stock

How big the chuck on the MIll/Lathe head you aim at? That will be very important at deciding on all elements.

I was thinking at one time to do this and went to the conclusion that cheapest will be to fit a mini lathe driven by 700w servo with brake if doing small parts. And use 200mm chuck and design everything from scratch if need is for bigger parts. Copy/ paste then the build that was mentioned before as its well documented on forums and videos
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

To run quickly through your list.

Sliding head means you'll have quite a bit of weight to move. It's not a major issue, but you need to consider you'll need a relatively substantial bed to support it.
    One benefit of going 5C, is a pneumatic/mechanical collet closer setup is pretty simple. You don't need anywhere near the same force as a standard chuck, but you'll need to make sure the spindle front bearing can handle the extra thrust force (or use some other kind of setup that avoids loading the spindle bearings)

BT30 ATC spindle is fairly simple. ATC is the more challenging part, but not that difficult. More time consuming to design and get all the parts needed, rather than difficult.

Lathe ATC. Doable. Plenty designs around.

Stock puller. There are a few simple designs around. Or you could go all out with a bar pusher :)

Tailstock. That will depend on what you're wanting to support. Big bars, pneumatic pressure will likely do. Smaller stuff, you'll probably want more accurate positioning.

How big the chuck on the MIll/Lathe head you aim at? That will be very important at deciding on all elements.
    I think most of high speed work can be done with a 5c collet so the rotational load will be low. any chuck work will slow indexing and milling ops. I plan to make the lathe spindle as well so the through bore and bearings can be optimised for the final design.

Sliding head means you'll have quite a bit of weight to move. It's not a major issue, but you need to consider you'll need a relatively substantial bed to support it.
    One benefit of going 5C, is a pneumatic/mechanical collet closer setup is pretty simple. You don't need anywhere near the same force as a standard chuck, but you'll need to make sure the spindle front bearing can handle the extra thrust force (or use some other kind of setup that avoids loading the spindle bearings)
    Yes I was a bit concerned but I think it will be less mass than the milling column and rotating spindle. pneumatic collet closer is ideal and the spindle will be designed to have as much of the collet as possible in side the front bearings.

BT30 ATC spindle is fairly simple. ATC is the more challenging part, but not that difficult. More time consuming to design and get all the parts needed, rather than difficult.
    I'm working on making a power drawbar and ATC for the nova mill so there will be some overlap in projects. Although the rotating head will make it easier to interface with a rotary carousel.

Lathe ATC. Doable. Plenty designs around.
    Got that bit solved as we have already made one for a Denford Orac that works very well. I will probably have to modify the denford style tool plate to take 8 turning tools and bolt on boring attachments.

The puller and tail stock are all nice to have but not essential. the sliding lathe head with high rpm and indexing capabilities are my biggest concern at the moment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information