. .
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Sorry, I think I'm somewhat less than clear. My post, for what it was worth, was lamenting that I've ran out of space in my cabinet and and busy stacking boards and components - into the third dimension. Intended a little tongue-in-cheek.

One quick suggestion - having stared at some real-estate in my cabinet where a PSU burnt itself out - a lesson learnt to not seal enclosures without cooling - if you've not already planned this, make sure that you have a cooling fan or two in the cabinet for extracting hot air.

Advice much appreciated - my layout was posted to see if anyone commented on it.
    I am using the original Denford control box which has an air inlet bottom right and (I think) a 4 inch fan top left. It gets a good flow through as in winter I had to put an external deflector on ot to stop the cold air freezing my legs.

One for Jazz.
    Got my PM25 clone running today and works brilliant but...
    I used overkill Nema34 (the grief of my X2 knocked me a bit) seem good motors so that's all fine.

Anyway. If I hit my soft limits at 2000mm/min the motors slightly over travel and put my position out by 0.2mm.
    I would say this is down to the rotor inertia of the overkill motors. Would you agree?

Simple solution... Don't hit the limits
    I do have some decent nema23 size for it. I'll make some mounts so I can try them out.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    One for Jazz.
    Got my PM25 clone running today and works brilliant but...
    I used overkill Nema34 (the grief of my X2 knocked me a bit) seem good motors so that's all fine.

Anyway. If I hit my soft limits at 2000mm/min the motors slightly over travel and put my position out by 0.2mm.
    I would say this is down to the rotor inertia of the overkill motors. Would you agree?

Simple solution... Don't hit the limits
    I do have some decent nema23 size for it. I'll make some mounts so I can try them out.
    Soft limits shouldn't be out by any amount. The point of them is that the controller controls the velocity/acceleration and position so it doesn't let you go past the soft limit value and brings the axis to a controlled stop, unlike when you hit a physical limit switch which just turns off the motor output. In this case, you always get over travel from inertia if moving quickly and even at lower feeds you should consider position lost if you hit the E-stop or limit sw.

OK, Step pulses set to 2 - what about the Dir pulses (currently zero)

Regadng my rewire here is the bottom rail that wouldn't have been too clear on the previous pictures. I suppose I can use some of these for splitting the rectified output from the toroidal transformer?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rail2.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	301.6 KB 
ID:	27789

I'll bow out of the conversation on re-using DIN rail terminals - I'm not familiar with them enough to advise (Only recently realised there's such things as shorting links). If you have the rail installed (which you have) it feels like a good opportunity, but others here with more experience will offer a more accurate view.

About the DIR - probably best to be set similar - if you miss a DIR change then you might end up with a single step in the wrong direction - but as this would only be on change of direction the error is unlikely to accumulate.

I take your point though that you'll be migrating to UCCNC next week anyway... I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    If you inventory what you have and find the voltages etc and tell me what controller you are going to use I will happily help you work out a wiring schematic.
    Here is the list:

Existing items

Power supplies:
    24V 3A
    24V 14.6A
    12V 2A
    RFI Filter
    Omron relay MK2P-S
    Omron relay G2R-2-SN
    Control Transformer" with outputs marked 28, 110, 120 and 240
    DIN Rail
    Fan (voltage unknown will check tomorrow)
    Main on/Off switch

On order:

Airlink 500VA 230v to 2x45v toroidal transformer

Power supply 50W 5V DC 10A
    bridge rectifier 400V 35A
    4OFF Electrolytic Capacitor, 4700 µF, 100 VDC

ABXX-E Motion Controller

3-OFF Stepper Motor Driver 6.0A, 80V CNC Microstepping CW8060

Terminal Blocks and wires

I am pretty sure I can wire the ABXX to the drivers and steppers and the VFD is seperate so really all I need help with is getting the mains to the PSUs and on to the devices and the E-Stop.
    I think I can work out the limit switches.
    I thought it would be tidy to use the existing connectors on the rail to get my rectified output from the toroidal transformer the the drivers, I could have the wiring run behind my mounting board.

Obviously if I have missed anythng please let me know.

Do you have momentary Button on the machine that can be used for safety Reset. You really need this as part of the E-stop safety system.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Do you have momentary Button on the machine that can be used for safety Reset. You really need this as part of the E-stop safety system.
    I asume you mean the big red one on the front? If so then yes.

EDIT.
    No that will be the E-Stop button won't it?

At the moment if I bend over and catch the E-stop with my backside I click on the Mach3 reset button to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by ngwagwa View Post
    I asume you mean the big red one on the front? If so then yes.

EDIT.
    No that will be the E-Stop button won't it?

At the moment if I bend over and catch the E-stop with my backside I click on the Mach3 reset button to continue.
    Ermm probably not usually Big Red button is E-stop, show me a pic.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information