. .
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Doddy, that sounds like a decent plan and I will take you up on it. I already have a DIV268 doing nothing so I won't be needing that thanks. It may take e a little longer than an hour as I have no idea where the current X axis is fed from, maybe it will be apparent when I get behind the bits added for the conversion. When would it be convenient to pick up the PSU?
    Thanks
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by ngwagwa View Post
    When would it be convenient to pick up
    Sent a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    If you go with the AXBB and UcCNC software then you won't be able to use it and I would use the UcCNC software over Mach3 as it's getting long in the tooth.

Looks like I can use a plugin to control the VFD http://www.forum.cncdrive.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2041

You've linked to the same file for each image.
    Last edited by Doddy; 08-04-2020 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    That's WRONG information your giving out, the drives don't regulate the voltage they regulate the current. 70Vac which is 98Vdc would destroy those little motors in no time at all. It would also make them run like a bag of shite.

You cannot stick any voltage you like into a stepper, there is a limit where it starts to have very negative affects. Namely iron losses and motor heating which kills them.

Those Large voltage Ac drives are only really any good for larger steppers Like Nema 34 or very high inductance NEMA 23's. Your typical 3-4Nm 4.2a Nema 23 with 3-4mh inductance doesn't like to be run much more than 80vdc and at that, you are pushing them past there design threshold so are shortening there life.

For the NEMA 23 motors, which this machine will have fitted he'll only need drives with a max rating of 70Vdc and would run them around 55-60Vdc. Or 50Vac drives running at 40-45Vac.
    Steppers are generally all rated 2-3Vdc yes?. So if said nema 17 / 23 or 34 (2-3Vdc) were put on the same driver why would I only blow the 17? (unless I didn't change the current output).

Also inductance. There are Nema 34's out there that are abysmal running on 60V supplies and ideally need at least 120Vdc to work reliably.

Also there are now drivers on the market with direct 240Vac input connections so no need for psu's anyway. These are aimed at nema17-23 size. Why would these not burn them up either?

I and many others use 60Vdc at least using larger 34 size drivers to run nema17 & 23 size motors. Even that goes against the grain and it's worked for years.

Um!, no 5V supply to the BoB?, normally people sling a USB lead from the computer to the BoB, and the BoB salvages a 5V supply from that. Or, you can provide a 5V supply to the "PC 5V" supply on the board itself.

Edit: My bad, image 4A shows the BoB has a supply from somewhere.
    Last edited by Doddy; 08-04-2020 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Um!, no 5V supply to the BoB?, normally people sling a USB lead from the computer to the BoB, and the BoB salvages a 5V supply from that. Or, you can provide a 5V supply to the "PC 5V" supply on the board itself.

I've got a similar BOB and spotted something too.
    If you take your 5v from 'elsewhere' (bottom right of bob) and don't get it through the usb header it bypasses the boards protection circuits!! Caution needed.
    It's recommended to use a bare ended usb cable from a psu to the board header in order to both avoid PC usb noise and keep board protection.
    Last edited by dazp1976; 08-04-2020 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post

I think it is fed from the Baldor board behind it - it's the top red wire

https://lozharroplures.co.uk/my_images/10.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ngwagwa View Post
    I think it is fed from the Baldor board behind it - it's the top red wire

https://lozharroplures.co.uk/my_images/10.jpg
    See my previous post on this. I have same board.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information