. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi,

On the verge of ordering one of these, has anyone got any good or bad experiences with them?

Thanks

One or two minor gripes, like I had to add an external MOSFET to switch my spindle on and off, but otherwise it just worked straight out of the box. The UCCNC software is pretty intuitive and works well too, and seems to offer a fair amount of scope for customising your control screen, though I'm only just getting onto that. And Balazs at CNC drive is OK at responding to questions/problems, even from newbies.

Thanks, item is on order. I use a plugin for my spindle which I believe will still work so that's solvedthat issue.

My machine is currently using one. The biggest issue with it was wiring the stepper motor signals....the unit does not have enough common terminals. Other than that its not too bad :)

Quote Originally Posted by Voicecoil View Post
    One or two minor gripes, like I had to add an external MOSFET to switch my spindle on and off, but otherwise it just worked straight out of the box.
    Hi there - what's that about needing a mosfet to turn your spindle on?
    Their wiring diagram on the product page (https://www.cncdrive.com/img/AXBB-E_5.png) implies it's as simple as connecting one of the isololated outputs like 01 to the forward input on the VFD?

Quote Originally Posted by n0f8r View Post
    Hi there - what's that about needing a mosfet to turn your spindle on?
    Their wiring diagram on the product page (https://www.cncdrive.com/img/AXBB-E_5.png) implies it's as simple as connecting one of the isololated outputs like 01 to the forward input on the VFD?
    I couldn't run my VFD from the isolated outputs due to earthing issues. Looking at the manual it seemed to imply that the NI outputs were 0...5V (although one of the examples half contradicted this) - my VFD has something like 16V on the inputs when not pulled down and I didn't want to risk blowing the AXBB-E.

I couldn't run my VFD from the isolated outputs due to earthing issues. Looking at the manual it seemed to imply that the NI outputs were 0...5V (although one of the examples half contradicted this) - my VFD has something like 16V on the inputs when not pulled down and I didn't want to risk blowing the AXBB-E.
    Ok - thanks - looking at getting one of these since my current chinese controller does random shit (like sending the gantry in random directions at full rapid speed) when I try to use Mach3 probe wizard routines from ProbeIt or ProbeWizard - and the ProbeIt guy says the CNCDrive controllers work...

Bit confused though - shouldn't an opto-isoloated output from the AXBB help avoid grounding issues?

[edit] - I still haven't really got my head around ground loops - but I suppose it depends on how you're powering those outputs and the VFD, and I guess the opto-isolation is only between those outputs and the Ethernet inputs from the computer

so I guess I'll just try it and hope for the best - I'd guess my current controller has the same kind of direction output feeding into my VFD, so hopefully that means I don't have the same grounding issue.
    Last edited by n0f8r; 28-07-2020 at 09:08 PM.

Ok - thanks - looking at getting one of these since my current chinese controller does random shit (like sending the gantry in random directions at full rapid speed) when I try to use Mach3 probe wizard routines from ProbeIt or ProbeWizard - and the ProbeIt guy says the CNCDrive controllers work...

Bit confused though - shouldn't an opto-isoloated output from the AXBB help avoid grounding issues?

[edit] - I still haven't really got my head around ground loops - but I suppose it depends on how you're powering those outputs and the VFD, and I guess the opto-isolation is only between those outputs and the Ethernet inputs from the computer

so I guess I'll just try it and hope for the best - I'd guess my current controller has the same kind of direction output feeding into my VFD, so hopefully that means I don't have the same grounding issue.
    I got the AXBB-E and upgraded from Mach3 to UCCNC at the same time and am glad I did. One thing I didn't know at the time was all the built in probing options. You can download it and runn in demo mode to take a look at them.

The problem for me was that my VFD shares the same ground for the 0-10V speed control and the ON/OFF port - joining this ground to the isolated output ground which switches various things on the machine didn't seem to be too clever from the interference point of view and was causing some weirdness. It's just a shame the isolated outputs don't have separate grounds, but I guess there's just not space. That done the AXBB-E seems to work well.

The problem for me was that my VFD shares the same ground for the 0-10V speed control and the ON/OFF port - joining this ground to the isolated output ground which switches various things on the machine didn't seem to be too clever from the interference point of view and was causing some weirdness. It's just a shame the isolated outputs don't have separate grounds, but I guess there's just not space. That done the AXBB-E seems to work well.
    I had issues when I connected my 24V ground to the chasis so I could use it for probing. Ended up using an old laptop 16V power supply fr probing. Can't remember what the problem I had was.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information