. .
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Hi All
    Need bit of help, i have all my electrics done and working on the test bench with the exception to the VFD, its working and the spindle runs but i want to connect it via the controller and Mach 3 but not sure of the connections
    i have attached some photos and a link to the manual.
    https://inverterdrive.com/file/Mitsu...0-SC-EC-Manual
    Thanks Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200408_184439_copy_1296x729.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	223.7 KB 
ID:	27759   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200408_184501_copy_1296x729.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	255.9 KB 
ID:	27760   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200408_205338_copy_1296x729.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	279.7 KB 
ID:	27761   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200408_184513_copy_1296x2304.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	173.8 KB 
ID:	27762  

Ok well you have the Nvem S-axis wired up so were are you running those wires.?

I've never used either of these but I've wired many others controllers and VFD's and they all pretty much work the same.
    Here's where I think they should go after looking at both manuals.

S-axis /Gnd1 goes to terminal 5 on Vfd which is Analog Gdn
    S-axis/VSO goes to terminal 2 on VFD which is 0-10V.

This is your 0-10V speed reference voltage. Terminal 10 on the VFD is a 10V speed reference voltage in case if you wanted to use a potentiometer (POT) and would go to the wiper of the POT. In this case you don't need it because the Nvem supplys the 0-10V

S-axis/Out1 goes to STF on VFD (forward rotation)
    S-axis/Out2 goes to STR on VFD (Reverse rotation)

Edited: After reading Nvem Manual little more.

However this would mean you have to tie the VFD control logic Gnd which is Terminal PC on the VFD to the same supply Gnd that the Nvem uses.
    (this bit I'm not sure about now because I would have expected the Analog Gnd to be separate to the Output Gnd and it doesn't appear so reading the Nvem manual.?)

You may be better and safer for the VFD using separate relays controlled by the Outputs to control the Run/Stop on the VFD by running the VFD connections thru it's contacts.

All your basicly doing is using Outputs 1 & 2 on the Nvem to turn on/off the RUN signal on the VFD by shorting STF/STR to PC(Gnd).

Then it's just a case of setting up the Outputs for Forward/Rev and Pulley speeds in Mach3 which the manual should tell you how.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 08-04-2020 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post

I've never used either of these but I've wired many others controllers and VFD's and they all pretty much work the same.
    Here's where I think they should go after looking at both manuals.

This is your 0-10V speed reference voltage. Terminal 10 on the VFD is a 10V speed reference voltage in case if you wanted to use a potentiometer (POT) and would go to the wiper of the POT. In this case you don't need it because the Nvem supplys the 0-10V

S-axis/Out1 goes to STF on VFD (forward rotation)
    S-axis/Out2 goes to STR on VFD (Reverse rotation)

However this would mean you have to tie the VFD control logic Gnd which is Terminal PC on the VFD to the same supply Gnd that the Nvem uses and this would need to be 24Vdc because that's what the VFD requires.

Or if your using a lower voltage say 12V to run the Nvem then you would need to connect the Out1 and Out2 to relays which use 12V coils and then put the STF and STR thru the relay contacts and back to PC on the VFD.

All your basicly doing is using Outputs 1 & 2 on the Nvem to turn on/off the RUN signal on the VFD by shorting STF/STR to PC(Gnd).

Then it's just a case of setting up the Outputs for Forward/Rev and Pulley speeds in Mach3 which the manual should tell you how.

Hope this helps.

Hi JAZZCNC
    thanks for your reply,

Nvem S-Axis out1 Orange and White twisted pr goes to STF on the VFD
    Nvem S-Axis out2 Green and White twisted pr goes to STR on the VFD

The other two twisted pairs blue and white,brown and white have not been connected as yet but looks like terminal 5 and 2 after reading your reply

Quote Originally Posted by Daveo View Post
    Hi JAZZCNC
    thanks for your reply,

The other two twisted pairs blue and white,brown and white have not been connected as yet but looks like terminal 5 and 2 after reading your reply

Read my edited reply.

Dave, sorry, I'm morbidly curious as to your choice of wiring the CAT-x UTP cable with each pair connected together. There's nothing much wrong with this and it probably presents a clean and cheap 4-core cable and bi-wiring each pair like this will reduce the resistance of the wire. But you used the term twisted-pair, and that has a particular connotation with respect to EMI - I guess you're aware that the way that you've wired that is not exploiting the twisted-pair?

Anyway, that's casual banter. If I'm going to reply I'll try to add some value. Jazz is correct - you're having to short the analogue and digital ground together for the VFD. I did do this on mine, also a NVEM, and it worked, though I did get some fluctuation in final spindle speed that may or may not have been associated with this and a ground loop. I never did find out what because I replaced the analogue speed control with a £2 RS485 serial link to the VFD.

Hi Doddy
    thanks for the reply's i will reply one at a time so i don't get mixed up with the replies

i used the cat 5 as i has several meters laying around and paired the colours together as i found them stronger as single wire broke very easy,i referred them to twisted pairs as that's how they are when stripping the outer cover off, i did not use the cat 5 to reduce EMI and to be honest haven't even thought of that at this stage.
    i am still in the testing stage with the electrics but i am 90% done just the spindle VFD and limit switches to do.

thanks Dave

OK, thanks for the advice
    so below is where i stand on the wiring and that makes sence...

just a bit confused on the last part...

Doddy
    Jazz is correct - you're having to short the analogue and digital ground together for the VFD. I did do this on mine, also a NVEM, and it worked, though I did get some fluctuation in final spindle speed that may or may not have been associated with this and a ground loop. I never did find out what because I replaced the analogue speed control with a £2 RS485 serial link to the VFD.
    just a bit more info on what i need to do here.

JAZZCNC
    Thanks for your help and it has got me further then i was but i am not sure to do now
    Edited: After reading Nvem Manual little more.

However this would mean you have to tie the VFD control logic Gnd which is Terminal PC on the VFD to the same supply Gnd that the Nvem uses.
    (this bit I'm not sure about now because I would have expected the Analog Gnd to be separate to the Output Gnd and it doesn't appear so reading the Nvem manual.?)

You may be better and safer for the VFD using separate relays controlled by the Outputs to control the Run/Stop on the VFD by running the VFD connections thru it's contacts.

Hope this helps.

do i need to use relays as the power supply for the Nvem is 24v
    Thanks Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Daveo View Post
    OK, thanks for the advice
    so below is where i stand on the wiring and that makes sence...

just a bit confused on the last part...

Doddy
    Jazz is correct - you're having to short the analogue and digital ground together for the VFD. I did do this on mine, also a NVEM, and it worked, though I did get some fluctuation in final spindle speed that may or may not have been associated with this and a ground loop. I never did find out what because I replaced the analogue speed control with a £2 RS485 serial link to the VFD.
    just a bit more info on what i need to do here.

That last bit - and this is with reference to the commonplace Huanyang VFD - the discrete for FOR/REV have a digital ground (short to ground to activate), labelled DCM, and the analogue speed control had an analogue ground, labelled ACM. For the NVEM with a single ground you have to short the ACM and DCM together to get a common ground (or export two grounds from the NVEM to the ACM/DCM ground references on the VFD).

Now, just reading your linked VFD reference it's clear that the control mechanism is very difference to the Huanyang. The STF/STR need to be pulled up (not down, as with the Huanyang) to the internal PC +24V supply. At this stage my suggestion would be to use the NVEM to drive separate relays and use the relay contacts to connect as per the manual. I'll shut-up now, Jazz is giving clear instruction and it helps no-one for me to talk over the top of another.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information