. .
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    I suspect it's a bit of a contradiction in terms. As far as I know, the std RJ45 shells for ethernet expect to see single core wires which by definition are not good for flexing. You may be able to buy braided, very flexible cable but how good it is I have no idea.

I managed to get some surplus drag cable for my machine. It typically has multiple bundles of shielded wires of varying sizes, so you can run sensors, encoders, motors, PSUs etc up one cable without risk of interference, in an oil resistant cover. But as m_c says, the price might interfere with your underwear.

Rapid Electronics "stock" Lapp drag chain cable (https://www.rapidonline.com/drag-chain-cable), although that's "stock" as in they will order it for you from Germany. Possibly worth getting the real deal if you want to make a really pukka job, otherwise use multicore shielded PVC cable inside a conduit etc and use the ethernet / RJ45 for the last few inches in the cabinet where there is no flex required.

You weren't kidding, pricey stuff this flexible cable! If I ask nicely the electrical guys at my work might have an offcut of something suitable kicking around.. worth a try!

The motor didn't seem to be the issue in the end, I don't think anyway.

I was still getting the dimensional inaccuracy's when running a program so I went through the setup process again within UCCNC to define the steps/rev. This time I done it over a larger distance where as previously I just used the max travel of my DTI (only about 15mm), this time I just used the closest accurate thing I had at home (50mm slip gauge).

Running the program again, the dimensions were pretty good, 0.15mm of what was programmed, which is most likely backlash to be honest.

A few more test cuts and see what happens over larger/smaller lengths!

Ethernet patch cables which are intended to be flexible SHOULD be made from stranded conductors rather than the single core of fixed cabling. Sounds like you got some that were not. A search on eBay for 'Cat 5 stranded' will find you plenty. Not recommended for repeated movement but it might last until Santa can bring you the real stuff!

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Lives in Carnoustie, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 28-10-2021 Has been a member for 1-2 years. Has a total post count of 28. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    I run Mach3 on most of my machines (Chiron FZ12, Beaver NC5 and Plasma) but recently fitted an SZGH CNC1000 control to the lathe.
    I love it for a lathe but not so sure for a mill. Having said that around the same time as I put the SZGH on the lathe a friend bought one for his Mill and he loves it, so might be worth looking at.

EDIT
    Ignore my post, for some reason I only saw the first page of this thread but now see it has progressed a long way since then :D
    Last edited by Hood; 14-04-2021 at 09:12 AM.

Hi Jim,

I also have a TOS Mill the same as yours apart from mine does have the CNC parts installed.

I’m looking at the feasibility of installing ball screws and servos and wondered if you have any more photos of the conversion?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzer View Post
    I suspect it's a bit of a contradiction in terms. As far as I know, the std RJ45 shells for ethernet expect to see single core wires which by definition are not good for flexing. You may be able to buy braided, very flexible cable but how good it is I have no idea.

I managed to get some surplus drag cable for my machine. It typically has multiple bundles of shielded wires of varying sizes, so you can run sensors, encoders, motors, PSUs etc up one cable without risk of interference, in an oil resistant cover. But as m_c says, the price might interfere with your underwear.

Rapid Electronics "stock" Lapp drag chain cable (https://www.rapidonline.com/drag-chain-cable), although that's "stock" as in they will order it for you from Germany. Possibly worth getting the real deal if you want to make a really pukka job, otherwise use multicore shielded PVC cable inside a conduit etc and use the ethernet / RJ45 for the last few inches in the cabinet where there is no flex required.
    I'm going Cat7 solid core from the control box all the way to the base of the machine. Terminated with custom RJ45 modules either end with 2.54 pins out or jst.
    Then short stranded cables for sensors into jst connectors plugged into the modules.
    Or something like that.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread Information