. .
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Right, so I've literally taken it right back to basics as you suggested disconnected all drivers except from the one. I was still having a weird issues where it would go into error state as soon as it was powered up, so I went back to the original 5Vdc PSU to power the drive rather than the 12Vdc and that solved that issue. Then I reset the firmware back to factory encase I had done something stupid along the way with the settings.

Then I connected the motor and the 130Vdc supply to the drive, and as soon as I hit the E-stop reset to power it up the motor continuously rotates until it reaches the max error in the settings.

At the moment I'm thinking either encoder is faulty (but all 3 do the same thing) or damaged drivers?

The only other thing I can think of that's different from previously is that I extended the encoder cables. I have double and triple checked the wiring is correct and swapping A and B has no effect. I extended it using CAT 5e cable, could this be causing some interference/noise giving a bad signal back to the drive?

I used shielded cable but the twisted pairs weren't shielded between each other, just the outside of the cable...

I also clipped the cable to the outside of the conduit supply the power to the motors, would this cause an issue?

Lives in Lytham St. Annes, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 8 Hours Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 417. Received thanks 61 times, giving thanks to others 10 times.
    Are you using the cncdrive Servoconfigurator3 software to test and debug the servos? https://www.cncdrive.com/downloads.html It sounds like ti from what you say.

The behaviour sounds like classic servo runaway which happens when the encoder signal is the wrong polarity relative to how the motor wants to spin. So in this case the drive tries to reduce the position error by going even further in the wrong direction. It doesn't know any better.

You should be able to talk to the drive without the motor power enabled ie provide the 5V but not the 130V. Then the s/w should see the drive and the encoder without it spinning off into the bushes. You should be able to turn the motor and check the operation and polarity of the encoder signal. It's a good idea to check the encoder signal makes some sort of sense before going any further.

With a DC brushed motor, you can't get the phases mixed up because there aren't any. But you can swap over the motor polarity by simply swapping the wires over. That's the 2 heavy wires from the drive to the motor. You'd think this should stop the runaway by changing the direction of the motor. Try that and see how you get on....

The motor wires don't need to be screened to work properly but it's good practice. Many of the problems people encounter seem to be caused by electrical noise, usually because of poor wiring practice. You don't need to be an expert but the methods are well understood and explained fairly well in places. I'm sure you will be able to find some good pointers if you look for them and we can always help you with suggestions.

You must be getting pretty close now!

The only other thing I can think of that's different from previously is that I extended the encoder cables. I have double and triple checked the wiring is correct and swapping A and B has no effect.
    I would have thought that this SHOULD have some effect as have been mentioned way back in the post like runaway.

I don't know your drives, you mention cat5 do the drives have a RJ45 connector or hard wired ? I have seen many times that using the RJ45 with crappy plugs the pins don't always connect.

Keep at it you will get there.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Lives in Lytham St. Annes, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 8 Hours Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 417. Received thanks 61 times, giving thanks to others 10 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I would have thought that this SHOULD have some effect as have been mentioned way back in the post like runaway.
    Indeed - so first check that the encoder is talking sense. Given that the position error stacks up and finally trips the drive, it sounds so. But as as you say, swapping encoder phasing should have done the trick. So start from the beginning, one step at a time......

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post

I don't know your drives, you mention cat5 do the drives have a RJ45 connector or hard wired ? I have seen many times that using the RJ45 with crappy plugs the pins don't always connect.

Keep at it you will get there.
    Yes, two RJ45. One for the encoder connection and one to the motion controller. Just to add another potential issue, it has a differential line driver, which from what I understand converts single ended to differential signals. The encoder is hard wired to the line driver which then has an RJ45 plug on the other end which then goes to an RJ45 on the motor driver.

I also made up all of the cables with the RJ45 plugs on, I did test them all before installing them but I guess that might not be a bad place to start looking for bad connections as well.

The only major change I made from when it was running was the encoder wiring, so I'm hoping its something silly like a bad connection!

Thanks for the help guys, I'll get stuck into it again tonight and see what I can find.

I also made up all of the cables with the RJ45 plugs on, I did test them all before installing them but I guess that might not be a bad place to start looking for bad connections as well.
    OK. Did you by any chance use the type of RJ45 that has a slot at the front that lets you pass the wires through then crimp then trim off the excess.

If so I have used them and chucked them out. Recently I made a 20Mtr patch cable (not cnc related) checked it with a cat5 tester that showed the errors. I did a continuity test pin to pin and it was fine.

But putting it into place it would not work. It turned out that the pins would not mate into the sockets properly.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

On mine, I used standard Ethernet network cables and just cut the connectors off one end. I then just wired them into my controller. I believe cncdrive used to sell interfaces to allow everything to use RJ45 connectors and there's a guy in the US trying to do the same. Seemed rather pointless and expensive to me - and hardly industrial practice.

Using the s/w to see the encoder should tell you if it's connecting and if it's sending sensible info.

I just reverted the one axis back to how I had it set up before, I cut the CAT5 extended cable from the encoder back to the factory wiring, and used a premade ethernet cable from line driver to drivers and its working again!

I also tried the premade cable with the extended encoder cable which didn't work. so it would appear it didn't like the cat5 cable I added on.... I checked continuity from the encoder to the end of the extended piece and everything seemed ok. That said I don't know enough about electronics or the workings of an encoder, could I have been getting a false reading due to internal components being linked? ( I didn't unsolder the terminations at the encoder when testing)

I soldered and heat shrinked the individual cables as well as around all of them, so I shouldn't have been getting any kind of short where I joined it....
    Last edited by JimJam; 21-08-2020 at 05:19 PM.

That's progress at least. You can buy cable testers like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-ne...e-tester/93219 although obviously Screwfix isn't the best place for low prices. They simply apply voltage to each wire in turn. A remote display shows you if the sequence is wrong.

Sounds as if you should be cutting chips this weekend, then! Well perhaps not quite but things are on the up.

CAT5 plugs can be wired in two different ways T568A and T568B. You will even find 'Null Modem' cables with different wiring at each end. This might contribute to the problem. See disgrams on the link.

https://incentre.net/ethernet-cable-...oding-diagram/
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information