. .
    Hi people I have a question.
    When joining stepper motor and proximity switch wire to CY cable what is best practice to doing this?
    Is it reasonable to use junction boxes with wires from the stepper motors and proximity switches joined to CY cable or is it better to just join the wires together by twisting and heat shrink and then just sliding them into the cable / drag chain?
    Thoughts about this would be greatly appreciated
    Regards... Chris

I would strip the wires at both ends, solder and then heatshrink each individual wire, before bringing the shielding back up and over as much as possible then heatshrinking over that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyUK For This Useful Post:

Doesn't matter do what is best for your application. Just make sure that if the junction box is lets say 600mm away from motor or switch that the 600mm worth of screen joins the remaining screen going back to the control box so your fully screened along the full length. Even then it's not critical but best to do this. Only ground one end of the screen and at the star Gnd point in the control box.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Done both - very situational. I very much prefer a junction box to get some strain relief from the cables but that can be managed with wiring loops or a rigid former and cable-ties. In-lining solder joints can otherwise lead to fractures/joint failures. Heatshrink is good, but can hide such failures and make fault-finding a bugger. Heatshrink with adhesive liners can provide moisture protection of joints, but needs higher temperatures to shrink. Solder sleeves are very good (I used to use a lot on aircraft wiring back in the day) - and a good way to bond screens as well, but relatively expensive.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    I would strip the wires at both ends, solder and then heatshrink each individual wire, before bringing the shielding back up and over as much as possible then heatshrinking over that.
    I did this on a number of cables on my machine where there wasn't room for a junction box to good effect - I used adhesive lined heatshrink for the overall cover. Just be careful to visually inspect every joint before covering with heatshrink.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Voicecoil For This Useful Post:

Thanks guys, I will put a junction box on the back of my Z axis plate to connect the stepper motor, a Z home proximity sensor and 2 traveling limit sensors for Y and Z.
    Regards Chris

I would remind you that all wires should be securely held down with cable ties or P-clips to stop the joins flexing. Movement at joints is the most likely place for failure.

Cheers,

Rob

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cropwell For This Useful Post:

This is how i did mine...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tbox1.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	27865

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ericks For This Useful Post:

Thread Information