Hello, I'm considering either buying or if possible building a router to work on 8x4 sheets I'm also wondering how much more expense/space and is it even practical to build to take 10x5 sheets if I'm building one anyway?
I guess mostly I'll be wanting to machine ply/MDF/Laminated chipboard upto about 25mm but also would be wanting to machine solid timber for stair strings etc. If practical id like to be able to occasionally work plastic sheets and thin ally sheet.............and also as a really big ask would it be reasonable to maybe also adapt to take a plasma torch as well?.......yes I know that maybe a step to far!!

The base id be thinking steel box, I'd be more than happy with constructing that, I'm confidant my steel fabrications skills are well upto that, I've been reading and lurking on the forum for past few weeks and realise that design and planning is the 1st and most essential step before even contemplating starting any build....so for this I guess I need some advice on a simple to use drawing program? then from there I guess I'll be asking loads more questions ......hopefully you will all have plenty of patience with me!! Being new to this I'm more than happy to take and follow advice.

Some thoughts I'm having would be maybe I build the bed/frame, mount to rails and then maybe get someone with a lot more experience to build me the gantry/Z axis to help speed along the whole process......is this practical? Am I likely to find or even need anyone to do this for me?

As you can see I'm in a world of confusion at the moment so hopefully I'm in the right place for help!!
sorry for the long 1st post!
Steve