. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This is my first forum post so first of all, hello everyone! I am at the stage of building the first cnc plotter, quite large and heavy as for the first machine (about 1.8m x 0.8m) and I would be very grateful if you could help me with electronics. Quite a long time ago I was able to buy second-hand electronics, theoretically complete set, after amateur coversion of a mini milling machine, although I have problems with it and I hope that this is my lack of knowledge. I would love to use as many components already bought as possible. As a bonus for purchase, I was given a Sieg X1 mini mill and an old computer that turned out to include Mach3 with the license of the previous owner so as a whole, probably a nice purchase despite everything is dusty and generally messy inside .. but to the point:

Breakout board - CNC4PC model C1
    Drivers - MSD542 x4
    Motors - FL60STH86-3008 BF x1 + two similar, unfortunately without any stickers so I will buy 3 more similar to FL.
    Transformer and the rest in the attached diagram that I re-drawn from what I got, this is not my project and will be redone.

1. The motors do not spin despite the fact that Mach software shows movement using the arrows on the keyboard. The motor is locked, it cannot be turned. There are diodes on the breakout board, it seems to me dedicated to outputs, not activated, only the 'outputs status' diode is on, what should I check step by step to verify if the board is ok?

2. How to check if the drivers are ok? The voltage is fine, 42V on each of them. The voltage between A + and A- and B + and B- in the case of one motor connected is 1.7V, in the other 1.4V. Where there is no motor connected, 42V between A + and A-. Is this correct?

I would have more questions, but for now, the most important is to verify whether the board and drivers are in full working order and configured with Mach3. The attached photos show Mach3 settings, previously configured with current set up. Thanks in advance for your help, I will post a full 3D project and a schematic after completing the project here. I’ll post more details about my design soon.

Regards!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	625.0 KB 
ID:	27845   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	449.1 KB 
ID:	27846   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	563.7 KB 
ID:	27847   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNC-page-001.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	27848  

It's been a while since I used one of these but I seem to remember they needed a 5v supply for the charge pump or a jumper setting on the board to disable it. So check the board and there will be 3pins together if I remember correctly with 5V and EN and Gnd. Put a jumper across 5V & EN pins if there isn't one there already and it will disable the charge pump.
    If the board doesn't see 5V across these pins it will disable the outputs which is probably why it's not moving.

Or you can just put 5v+ on the EN pin and it keeps the charge pump in place then if you lose 5v the outputs get shutdown. Your choice.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 16-04-2020 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by borntofight00 View Post

1. The motors do not spin despite the fact that Mach software shows movement using the arrows on the keyboard. The motor is locked, it cannot be turned. There are diodes on the breakout board, it seems to me dedicated to outputs, not activated, only the 'outputs status' diode is on, what should I check step by step to verify if the board is ok?
    Mach 3 doesn't get any feed back from the motors so it just assumes they are moving that's why the Dro's show movement. The BOB as probably disabled the outputs as per my other post.

Quote Originally Posted by borntofight00 View Post
    2. How to check if the drivers are ok? The voltage is fine, 42V on each of them. The voltage between A + and A- and B + and B- in the case of one motor connected is 1.7V, in the other 1.4V. Where there is no motor connected, 42V between A + and A-. Is this correct?
    Be very carefull when you are sticking probes into this area you can very easily fry those drives and what ever you do, DO NOT disconnect the motor connections from the drives while powered up or you will 99% destroy them. It's perfectly fine to power the drives without the motors attached but never remove the motor wires while drives are powered up.

Simplest test first is as Jazz says - check the BOB EN pin and that your e-stop isn't activated. Been there... worn the tee-shirt.

To test the drivers, disconnect the PUL+ wire from the break-out board to each of the drivers one at a time, and with a bit of wire in the PUL+ input to the driver strike that against the +5V supply. Each connection (and each break/make as you make the connection) should turn the respective motor by one step (or microstep). You might get more joy just listening if the drivers are configured with a large number of micro steps. That will give you a basic level of confidence that the drivers and motors are okay. It's hard to predict the terminal voltage of the drivers - depending upon the motor position you're going to see an instantaneous (static) description somewhere along the waveform of a sine-wave across A-/+ and B-/+ each 90 degrees out of phase (so when A is +Big Volts, B would be tending to Little Volts.... but all depends on where the driver thinks it is along it's rotation.

You could also strike +5/0V across the EN+/EN- of each driver. That should free the motor on that axis. Not very useful, but again some confidence in the operation of the driver.

If you get that far then your issues lie either in the break-out board, or your Mach3 installation.

It worries me that you say that none of the LED outputs are illuminated - if you jog one axis in one direction, then the other, at least one of the LEDs for the DIR outputs to the drivers should be illuminated in one jog direction. Failure of this would be an indication that there's a problem or misconfiguration of the BoB. Or the EN input. Or the connection to the PC.
    Last edited by Doddy; 17-04-2020 at 06:24 AM.

Thanks very much for the instructions, as you pointed, motor rotates at each 5V strike, in addition, 5V connected to EN + free the motor so that’s the good news I believe.

This is my first contact with stepper motors so please be patient  When striking 5V, sometimes the motor's rotation is ‘uneven’, i.e. it’s jumping one step but sometimes it feels like it’s jumping a few steps and sometimes one step in opposite direction. I guess, this is due to not precise pulsing by using simple push button? I’ve connected n/o push button between 5V source and PUL+ btw..

Also, with e-stop off:

I can measure 5V between 5V & GND and between EN & GND terminals. LED called 'output status' is illuminated.

With e-stop on however:

5V between 5V & EN and 5V & GND terminals. 'Output status' LED is not illuminated.

What do you guys think?

The semi-random effect is as I'd expect. Even using a N/O push button rather than just a bit of wire you're going to get something called "contact bounce" where pressing the button generates a whole bunch of On/Off transitions as the button contacts literally bounce against each other. This usually dissipates within a few milliseconds, but you can certainly get more than one "contact" per press and with a fast stepper setup (usually rated into the hundreds of kilohertz - sub 10 microsecond territory) you might expect a fairly random number of pulses / rotational steps. But, they should be in one direction only.

I'm going to largely ignore your voltage measurements - because I don't understand quite what you've written. I *think* you're saying with E-Stop off you confirm you have 5V (all measurements taken with the meter's black lead connected to 0v) supply to the BOB, and 5V on the EN enable pin, and the LED 'output status' is illuminated, and with the E-Stop on you confirm the EN enable pin falls to 0V and the 'output status' is not illuminated? That's what I'd expect to happen and is again a good thing. It indicates that you have power to the board and your e-stop circuit is operable.

My concern now lies with no sign of life from the LED indicators on the outputs from the BoB. With the-estop OFF : Using the cursor keys to pseudo-move the X-axis in one direction or another you will be changing the X-DIR signal between 0v and 5V (can't tell you which way around) - which should illuminate/extinguish the LED on output pin (3) on the BoB. I'd use that as your primary sign-of-life from now on.

So, your stepper drivers are showing signs of life, together with your motors, so I think it's time to concentrate on the board and the Mach 3 interface to this.

1) My first question is - has you witnessed the actual computer that you're using with Mach3 successfully drive this board?, I think from your description - no? The problem here is chasing a potential ghost - if the PC is not set-up correctly then you can probe the board all you like and there'll still be no life.

2) Are you using a full 25w wired parallel cable between the computer and the BoB?, have you tried a quick continuity check to make sure pin-1 goes to pin-1 etc through pin-25? (if you found a random 25w cable it *could* be a serial cable with only a small number of wires connected, and some of those possibly swapped). Check the basics.

3) Of interest - on the BoB - there's a 3-pin jumper header labelled "JP1" - there should be a shorting pin connecting two of the pins together - which two?

4) Would you be confident to ***CAREFULLY*** measure the voltage on pin-1 of the 25-W D-type that the computer plugs into, with the system powered. I'm talking about connecting the meter black lead to 0V and carefully probing the PCB where the pin-3 is, and measuring the voltage with the X-Axis moved in one direction, then again with the X-Axis moved in the opposite direction. In one direction you're expecting a voltage less than perhaps 0.8V and in the other direction greater than perhaps 2.5V.

5) Much easier - could you do this again on the PC. insert a couple of pins or bits of stripped solid strand wire (paperclip?) into pin 3 and pin 25 of the PC parallel port and measure for each direction of X-axis travel. If you can provide a photo of this for our amusement (and validation) - this is getting to the point where we should be able to understand the PC->BoB communication - I think the BoB's basically functional, so this is important to understand why the BoB is not seeing the commands from the PC.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddy For This Useful Post:

So far so good!

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    I'm going to largely ignore your voltage measurements - because I don't understand quite what you've written...
    Bad wording, sorry. Anyway, you are correct.

1) My first question is - has you witnessed the actual computer that you're using with Mach3 successfully drive this board? ..
    No, unfortunately I wasn't able to see everything working. I was given two PC's during system collection with the information that one of them was used with this equipment and should still be ok.

2) Are you using a full 25w wired parallel cable between the computer and the BoB?..
    I'm using brand new 25w parallel cable and I tested each pin for continuity, all fine.

3) Of interest - on the BoB - there's a 3-pin jumper header labelled "JP1" - there should be a shorting pin connecting two of the pins together - which two?
    This shorting pin is connecting pins 2 & 3 (COM=GND)

4) Would you be confident to ***CAREFULLY*** measure the voltage on pin-1 of the 25-W D-type that the computer plugs into, with the system powered. I'm talking about connecting the meter black lead to 0V and carefully probing the PCB where the pin-3 is, and measuring the voltage with the X-Axis moved in one direction, then again with the X-Axis moved in the opposite direction. In one direction you're expecting a voltage less than perhaps 0.8V and in the other direction greater than perhaps 2.5V.
    I managed to measure a voltage for X, Y and Z axis (just in case) and I was getting just a little bit above 2.5V and 0.07V (not too low?)

5) Much easier - could you do this again on the PC. insert a couple of pins or bits of stripped solid strand wire (paperclip?) into pin 3 and pin 25 of the PC parallel port and measure for each direction of X-axis travel. If you can provide a photo of this for our amusement (and validation) - this is getting to the point where we should be able to understand the PC->BoB communication - I think the BoB's basically functional, so this is important to understand why the BoB is not seeing the commands from the PC.
    Take a look at the pictures attached, for your amusement :) I’m measuring 3.35V & 0.036V, almost identical on pins 3 to 9.

From what I understand, there is a communication between PC and BOB, but there is no signal to the outputs .. as you can see at the picture, BOB is a little bit messy so would it be a good idea to give it a good clean with isopropanol for example?

Another thing that I have spotted is LED next to PC power terminals which was illuminating for some time while PC was running but the rest of the system wasn’t powered. At some point, it disappeared .. is it normal?

I really appreciate the time you spend pointing me in the right direction.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	27904Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	27905Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	389.5 KB 
ID:	27906
    Last edited by borntofight00; 20-04-2020 at 10:20 PM.

Any chance to help me take few more steps forward guys?

Sorry, I lost track of this message reply, and back at work today so slow to respond.

This board confuses me a little - there are two 5V supplies indicated to this, yet no specific mention in the manual about how to wire these. More interesting is figure 1 in the pdf (https://www.cnc4pc.com/pub/media/pro...SER_MANUAL.pdf) which shows that the PC parallel interface is isolated from the output drive system. This implies pretty strongly two PSUs.

I asked about measuring the parallel port for two reasons - that Mach3 is driving it properly (generally is, at least the DIR signals) and that it is set to TTL levels - it isn't - it's driving 3.3V which is not ideal, but the image for the chips on the board - ACTs should tolerate this at a logic level. You cannot scavenge 5V directly from this parallel port so with reference to figure 1 I'm wondering how the PC-side interface on the board is powered, versus the "output" side of the board. There is information within figure 1 to suggest "PC +5V" and "PC 0V" which are the two terminals at the top of the board, which in your photo are unconnected.

So, if you will endure me, I'd ask if you can measure the voltage at the PC +5V to PC 0V at the top of the board as shown in the photo. If there is NO measured voltage then I'd ask you to wire the +5V to the main +5V supply, and the 0V to the main 0V. This destroys the galvanic isolation between PC interface and output drivers, but it's a quick and easy test.

Thanks Doddy!

Following your instructions, here's what I found: with the PC turned off, the moment I turned on the system, the LED next to the 'PC Power' terminals came on and the voltage between them was 1.8V. When I turned on the computer, the LED went out and the voltage also disappeared. I remember that a similar situation has happened more than once before and I could not figure out at what point LED was disappearing, now I know. I turned off the computer, turned off the system, waited a few minutes, turned on the system again - PC LED was no longer on, no voltage as well. I repeated the process again, this time I waited longer, the result was same, no voltage, no LED.
    Then I wired +5V & 0V. At the time of connecting the LED output diodes ‘blinked’ sending a few short pulses (without the use of software) to the motor but the 'outputs status' LED disappeared, which is not desirable I’m guessing? So now, with 5V wired to PC Power terminals ‘output status’ LED is permanently off.

With such behaviour, do you think that it might be a time to think about the new BOB or perhaps something more to check?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information