. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Today's silly thing was actually to discover I'd done a silly thing many months ago that only showed up today: I've managed to use two different mappings of 8 core cable colours to socket pin numbers on the two cables connecting my machine's limit switches to the controller. Only wasted two hours finding and fixing it!
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Dragged an old K40 laser cutter/engraver out of the attic. Realised the tube was knackered (it's been up there since 2013!), is bought new tube (£120). Decided I didn't like the various bits of plastic - replaced the extractor fan with 3 server cooling fans on a 3d-printed bezel, integrated into the unit. Decided I like the low-profile design so bought an inline 12V self-priming pump - installed that under the bed, coupled with 8/10mm silicone tubing to the tube, and to some 8mm bulkhead barbed connectors fitted to the rear of the case. Mounted the air pump inside the electronics cabinet so now EVERYTHING is contained inside the K40 enclosure. Hooked up a water supply and tested. Actually - it works, but the silicone tube is too soft and collapsed under suction from the pump, but not before it'd filled the laser tube. So I pull the water inlet tube off - and with the released pressure the outlet pipe fires off and pressure-washes the inside of the shed, all inches away from the 20kV supply to the laser.

Soooo., 10mm barbs ordered, and 8mm PVC pipe to replace the silicone. And some clean underwear.

Weekend job - strip the bloody machine down again to re-plumb everything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information