I ‘m new to CNC building.
I would like to use a DRO / linear encoder for controlling the axis’ on my first DIY router build for a closed loop system. My build so far consists of a steel frame with THK linear rails. I’m leaning towards the Mach4 CNC software. I plan to use NEMA 23 stepper motors.
I really don’t want to use motors with built in rotary encoders. I have heard that you can use linear scales in place of the encoders on the motors.
I’ve heard good things about doing it this way:
backlash free from the get go, linear scales read the actual table position, easily configured, connect the motor to controller, you can tie the motor encoder to the drive as normal but reads from the linear scales. more failsafe if I break a motor shaft or there is inaccuracy in the ballscrew
And bad things:
impossible to do any kind of feedback loop, instability cause by too much delay between the motor and carriage.
blah blah blah. Too much conflicting info and technical stuff to sort through.
I’m on a budget and was wondering if I could make these work? https://www.ebay.com/itm/800MM-Linea...l/233243351657
Just in case the link doesn’t work they are

Linear Scale For Milling Lathe Machine Linear Glass Scale Double Seal
Specs:
Voltage: 5V DC
Current: 50mA
Travel Length: 800mm
Grating Pitch: 0.02mm (50LP/min)
Resolution: 5μm (0.005mm) 0.0002"
Accuracy: ±0.005 mm or 0.0002" (at 20 deg C)
Response Speed: 60m/min or 40inch/sec
Cable Length: 3m
Sealing: Double seal
IP Class: 53
Product Dimention(LxWxH): 94 x 2 x 5cm (37.01" x 0.79" x 1.97")

If they will work will they just connect to the encoder input on the motor drive and off I go or is there more to it? Do I need some type of motor control board or what?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.