. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    Fake news alert!!

Peening is the art of creating a compressive stress in a metal surface. (check out ball peen hammer and its uses)

The roots of gear teeth are control shot peened to increase their bensing strength through inducing a compressive stress in the metal surface. Con-rods are strenghtened by shot peening (this also removes suface imperfections). Peening is also used to bend wing surfaces before fitting.

Bead blast and shot blast are similar processes but with different intended results

.......just to clarify.
    Thanks for clarifying that Martin. I may have misinterpreted the explanation I had found before.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    Fake news alert!!

Peening is the art of creating a compressive stress in a metal surface. (check out ball peen hammer and its uses)

The roots of gear teeth are control shot peened to increase their bensing strength through inducing a compressive stress in the metal surface. Con-rods are strenghtened by shot peening (this also removes suface imperfections). Peening is also used to bend wing surfaces before fitting.

Bead blast and shot blast are similar processes but with different intended results

.......just to clarify.
    This man is totally correct and is one of the few with correct engineering information, quite rare these days. It can also be commonly known as 'surface conditioning', which also includes other processes affecting the surface of a component. Well done MartinS!

I've started working on a design (not anywhere near finished) and was having trouble figuring out the part at the back of the case for the PCI slots. Then I started wondering if there are parts for sale which could help, as in there would just have to be a large cutout at the back in which the part could be mounted. I found this one.

https://www.mountainmods.com/product...roducts_id=486

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	modular io panel.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	27987

Unfortunately the shipping costs are so high that it would work out to 50 dollars just for this relatively small part of the case. I've been trying to find something similar for sale in the UK, but so far haven't had any luck. Would anyone have an idea about this?

Lives in Galway, Ireland. Last Activity: 27-04-2020 Has been a member for 2-3 years. Has a total post count of 2. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Hi Stonelesscutter,

I am based down in galway, i work with Aluminum alot and its uses and treatments. I would suggest that you draw up your design in cad if you have the facility and develop the pattern [ie solidworks sheet metal] and sub out to a local fabricator. What you are describing could easily be fabbed up with one of the many fabricators based in your locality and also powdercoated - for easily less than 400 and with a greater quality than what your will achieve by yourself. I would suggest making the corners chamfered rather than rouunded as all of that can be fabbed easily with a profile cutter and press brake. Hope this helps
    Best of luck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cdag For This Useful Post:

Are you doing 1 case or are you designing a case to be sold? If second- better design it and look in China for a manufacturer. All else is insanity, especially with your knowledge.

If you are making 1 fantasy case for yourself, you can do it with a saw, Dremel and a file+ 10 types of sanding paper. Probably will need to learn working with aluminum low temp solder. Work will be ridiculous, but i have done it and know people that do super complicated stuff by hand. We are artists, so we do that.

Choosing a material you don't know nothing about it and not having basic tools is a recipe never to do it. Anodizing at home is possible, have done it but on the scale you will be doing it with only one case= lost money.

Don't get me wrong, but better find something else to do if you are not an accomplished DIYer with a modest workshop. The real answer to your question is you need a proper mill to do correctly a project like that. People buy and use mills just to finish the front panel of custom amps and the engravings.

On the opposite i have to contradict with myself. I know of 2 people apart from me that could do such a thing with absolutely basic tools but each of us has like 20 years of experience in manual art , DIY and creative projects.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boyan Silyavski For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information