. .

Thread: eBay router

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Hi all
    Stumbled onto this thread and wanted to join to share first Hand my experiences.

So I run a Axyz router for my day job my boss lets me run my own bits now and then bit wanted one at my home workshop.
    I had intended to go for the entry level Ali frame desktop machine but saw these and thought the looked up to scratch.

Well when the machine arrived seemed okay plugged in and had a play.

I do have quite a lot to pick at so please bear with me. I've built and desined many machines so had a idea what to look for

1st I asked for a base the machine was the desktop version just tacked to a floor base with no feet.
    The gantry lead screw supports where loose and the screw was binding on the gantry end plate.

The frame is 3mm side to side out of square front to back 2mm corner to corner

Missing bolts on the guide rails

Over 50% of the bolts loose or not torqued

On the 3mm thick gantry bearing plates which have two m6 bolts one bolt was just held in to a stripped hole with locktite

Gantry is twisted

Whole machine has such a high enter of gravity it rocks (if the gantry was rotated 90degrees to span the shorted distance may fix part of this

Ridiculous amount of vibration / resonation

Drilled plates and hole allingment poorly done and on limits with bolts binding.

Over all I should of built my own but would of took way too long.
    Pretty disappointed with my purchase but
    I will make do and let the machine earn it's money back and I will re invest in a better

Welcome to the forum Chris. Thanks for the report not many own up to the fact that they have bought a load of crap.

It looks like you are going to be a valuable member of the forum with the knowledge you have.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Hi Clive thanks I should of maybe checked the forum sooner. I wouldn't say crap I've tweaked and tightened bits. Squared up the gantry. Fitted a machine base plate and leveled the plate on shim's for now needs an epoxy bed or I will remake the machine base along with a narrower gantry. I've managed good cuts on g10 and hard wood so I'm happy for now.
    Like above I plan to get the machine to earn it's cost back then reinvest in a better set up.
    Or use this to build a new machine.

Thanks Chris

Hi Chris,

Like Clive says thanks for the honest feedback. As a machine builder my self I'm in a very delicate position when I point out the faults and weaknesses on these machines and I've had some heated debates with some of the fanboys who won't own up or don't know the difference between a real machine and a pile of metal turned to scrap, so it's nice to hear from actual victims. Yes, I said Victims because IMO it verges on criminal and you are not alone.

This isn't going to be much consolation to you but only in the last few weeks, I've been helping another victim of these machines who bought an 8x4 that was pretty much dumped in his workshop and left to defend for himself with no help or support, the guy won't answer emails or phone.
    The machine wasn't set up in any way shape or form and the user didn't have a clue how to set it up, why would he, when he thought he was buying a ready to use the machine, not a DIY kit with no support.
    There are no limit switches or home switch fitted and very little in the way of safety. The spindle is completely unsafe and illegal in that it starts up on its own if the VFD is turned on before the PC so there is no Charge pump or safety interlocks on it.
    The flimsy gantry is a joke and at over 8ft wide, it's got the strength of a piece of spaghetti, so much so that when delivered the spindle was located in the center and dropped to touch the bed to stop it bouncing in transport, which made me chuckle because that says it all to me.!

I got him working over the phone so I haven't seen the actual machine but I can imagine the state of it will be very similar to yours. Like you, he's going to make the best of it and it will certainly provide a challenging learning machine which I hope doesn't put him off because it's certainly going to be a frustrating machine.

WARNING BLATANT SELF PROMOTION BELOW.!
    Now regards the Wide and narrow format this isn't a problem if the machine is built correctly and it's actually a good space saver which suits the "men in shed " environments were space and layout is at a premium.

So here comes the self-promotion.!! . .. I wasn't going to do this just yet but why not as others will no doubt be watching this and it may just save them buying rubbish.!

I'm currently building several (8) machines in two sizes, 1250x600 and 900x600 that I'm going to offer for sale to meet the needs of people on a lower budget that uses the same wide/narrow format but obviously done correctly and with much better components, like profiled linear rails, etc.

Fully welded steel frames using 100mm and 80mm 5mm wall tubes with 5mm and 10mm steel plates in various places. The Gantry will be using my proven "L" shape design using HD profiles directly sat on the linear rails with 10mm steel gantry ends for connecting to the ball screws which will be located inside the top tubes to protect and keep the width down to a minimum.
    The Z-axis will be a new design (for me anyway), which is still fully covered like what I fit on all my machines and using a 20mm Cast tooling plate but with pocketed 10mm side plates which bolt into the rear plate and make a much stronger z-axis.

The Motors will be Lichuan 5.5Nm and 4.5Nm Closed loop with AC drives directly driving the ball-screws.

I going to offer several options ranging from a fully built working mechanical frame with motors but no electrics or spindle etc for those that have the knowledge to tackle the electrical side. Then going up in electrical spec. In Total there will be 5 options starting at just over £2k up to £4k for the fully loaded floor-mounted Ethernet version with Spindle PC etc.

All the machines are Bench mounted with an optional Stand to make it free-standing.
    Here's a sneak preview.! If anyone is interested get in touch via PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JZR9060E.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	28929

Name:	Nobase_JZR9060.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	28930
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 03-10-2020 at 10:59 AM.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Those machines look good Jazz.

I could be interested in the bigger option, but probably not this year.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

All the difference between sturdy and turdy.

Hi Jazz
    It was actually your comments that drove me to sign up and stand by your observations.
    Before I purchased I checked feed back ect and took it all for face value and expected a relatively turnkey solution.
    I was wrong, the spindle issue is the same on mine if you
    Know of a fix for this please let me know.
    Your machines look a capable solution but I'm now over 2k in so the machine needs to pay me back before I can progress. I do alot of remote programming for several company's and reverse engineering of products and I should of opted for a more commercially available machine but the engineer in me like the look of the welded frame and ball screw machine so I went for that expecting a good solid machine but it's not. Personally they should be sold as kits for an experienced user and not a finished machine.
    I think I will look to build a more suitable machine at some point next year.
    I think as a basic machine they run and work but it needs a lot of refinement I offered some feed back on the gantry design to aid the end user and it wasnt really acknowledged.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Those machines look good Jazz.

I could be interested in the bigger option, but probably not this year.
    Thanks, Moray, Quite a lot of time has gone into this project trying to get the best machine for the lowest budget, while at the same time making sure there's profit to make it worthwhile doing. So far I'm very happy with the design and the frames are rock solid, but the profit will remain to be seen...Lol
    The first batch won't be ready until Mid to late December and half of those are sold or spoken for already so the next batch if I do another, will be next year anyway.

I've also got this little beast in the line up as well which I'm going to offer up. 500 x 500 x 350 Cut. Fixed gantry which is a little different in the gantry department.! It's built like the proverbial brick Sh#t house. I'm on with this one at the moment which is spoken for and will be ready in the next 3/4weeks so I'll take a video of it to show more. Another will follow it and be up for grabs.

Name:	SideTopFront.png 
Views:	287 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	28931 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frontTop.png 
Views:	339 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	28932

Name:	frontbottom.png 
Views:	303 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	28933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iso.png 
Views:	269 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	28934

Name:	iso1.png 
Views:	301 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	28935Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top.png 
Views:	275 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	28936 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear.png 
Views:	284 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	28937

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.s View Post
    Hi Jazz
    It was actually your comments that drove me to sign up and stand by your observations.
    Before I purchased I checked feed back ect and took it all for face value and expected a relatively turnkey solution.
    I was wrong, the spindle issue is the same on mine if you
    Know of a fix for this please let me know.
    Your machines look a capable solution but I'm now over 2k in so the machine needs to pay me back before I can progress. I do alot of remote programming for several company's and reverse engineering of products and I should of opted for a more commercially available machine but the engineer in me like the look of the welded frame and ball screw machine so I went for that expecting a good solid machine but it's not. Personally they should be sold as kits for an experienced user and not a finished machine.
    I think I will look to build a more suitable machine at some point next year.
    I think as a basic machine they run and work but it needs a lot of refinement I offered some feed back on the gantry design to aid the end user and it wasnt really acknowledged.
    Hi Chris,

To be honest I wasn't trying to tempt or sell you or anyone the machine it just seemed a good point to mention it to show someone thinking of buying a machine that there are much better alternatives at similair or less money. To be honest I don't need to push the machines I build they sell them selfs, esp when seen in the flesh or after being used, to be honest most of these are now sold just by people approaching me and wasn't going to show them or offer untill finshed, if there was any spare that is.!

Now regards the Spindle then I haven't actually seen how he's wired them up but it shouldn't be too difficult to make safe. A simple relay will do the Job but without seeing what he's fitted and wired in your electrical cabinet it's difficult to say.
    I'll PM you my email address etc and if you send me pics I'll take a look and help you make it safe.

I was hoping you would start producing your machines for sale and I think your going to be a very busy man.
    Currently at the early stages of designing my own but don't have the time (or knowledge), I will draft a PM soon. Very interested !!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information