. .

Thread: eBay router

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    I just seen a company advertisement on eBay for the to build a router for £2000
    Just seems a little cheap for the speck, would like your opinion before I

3 AXIS DESKTOP CNC ROUTER 1mx65cm
    Working area 85x55cm

Built to order PLEASE ALLOW 4-5 WEEKS
    Manufactured IN UK
    Cnc Router will be supplied with the below:
    An Electrical enclosure housing stepper drivers and power supplies
    A Set of 13 ER20 Collets From 1mm to 13mm
    1 Usb Pendant for CNC Machine Control.
    A Pre-configured refurbished PC inc monitor.
    18mm Mdf bed.
    Water pump.
    Basic free training at our premises when collecting your cnc
    Mechanical
    3 axis cnc router with a welded 75mm x 75mm x 3mm steel box-frame for high Quality and accurate cut finish.
    16mm anti blcklash ball screw with 16mm pitch
    20mm fully supported rails
    nema34 800oz motors each with indipendant power supply and stepper driver
    KKo1 breakout board
    2.2kw spindle & Vfd (water cooled)
    Gantry & Z Axis all have support plates giving extra strength where needed,
    Z axis 170mm travel
    Wiring is all shielded CY cable eliminating electrical noise.

If you have any questions regarding our machines please do not hesitate to contact us.
    We are able to build any size cnc Router see our other listings

Please be aware that our machines are made to order so there may be up to a 4 week period
    Your machine will come fully configured and ready to run.
    Tool path program will be needed to create Gcode Vcarve recommended

Ok well I'm going to answer this but I want to make it clear because as most of you know I build machines for people that in no way what I'm about to say is said to pull this machine down for my own purposes because I really don't need to. Neither is it intended to say anything about the guy or company building them as I don't know him at all.

What you need to do is look carefully at the machine and ask some questions about it.!

#1 The frame is a welded construction which at first might seem good, but as any on here who have welded a frame will tell you they always twist and move. Also, it's critical to accuracy that the surfaces the rails fasten onto are exactly on the same horizontal plane and vertical planes. This is why we go to great lengths machining or using methods like epoxy leveling.
    This machine as NONE of this done to it. Add to this that the 75mm with 3mm wall thickness isn't that strong and being thin-walled it resonates quite a lot which again affects quality of the cut.

#2 Gantry is a very weak affair that's better suited to a plasma machine, just.!!... and again no signs of any attempt to make sure it's flat and not twisted. Plates and connections to ballscrews and key areas like Z-axis are flimsy thin things.

#3 The motion control side is done from the PC with a £5 breakout board. From what I can see he's using commonly used refurbished Dell PC's, which are actually the same ones I use with Ethernet controllers.
    If so then I can tell for sure that the parallel port on these is very flaky and I use exactly the same setup for testing and setting up machines with the same KKo1 board and they crash and lockup for fun. So bad that they won't even pass the Linux CNC latency test for using with a parallel port.

#4 Nema 34 motors are just wrong choice for a machine this size and I'd put a wager on it they are run on low voltage to boot. NEMA 34 motors need lots of voltage to get speed. Thou he does use 16mm pitch screws which will offset this to some degree, but still not a good choice for several reasons.

#5 The rails are the round type and the cheap variety, in fact looking closely at the components like ballscrews and BK/BF bearings I believe they are the lower quality units that come out of China, Not all ballscrews and bearings coming out of China are the same quality. Again many on here who have built and bought from China will confirm this.
    I've spent a lot of years using various suppliers in China and I'm pretty sure these are the lowest spec available and is how they can sell these machines at this price. Which is ok but they wear out quickly and get sloppy fast and when fitted to a machine that isn't built very accurate to start with these all compounds to give a not so accurate machine.!

#6 The Z-axis is a weak affair fastened to flimsy plates that extend too far at 170mm with a heavy spindle on the end. The end result will be vibrations at the tool which is exactly where you don't want it.!

Other than these things then it's fine for light hobby use provided you are aware of its shortcoming and low-quality components. Oh and the shitty parallel port which I wouldn't trust to run my kettle.!

Thankyou Dean, I thought there was a reason for the cheap price, think I’ll give it a miss ��

Apples & pears! Ferrari or Ford?

What are you comparing it to in that price bracket?

The grown-up meccano sets Xcarve, Ooznest? Or the ever so popular crappy import 6040 with the bendy beds and dubious electronics?

If you don't have the budget for an AXYZ or maybe one of Dean's custom machines?

You see people milling aluminium flawlessly for hours on a shapeako and others who can't manage a simple cut on a £10k machine.

So if however £2-£3k is your budget, reach out and chat with the guy, he's extremely helpful.

hi, I have spoken to Dean already, he`s a lovely guy and he trying to sort me something out for me.

I found this machine on eBay, just to look at the pictures of it. The frame has no triangulation stiffeners and the gantry side plates look as though they would sway in the breeze.

There’s a lot of things like this on eBay waiting to catch the unwary, fortunately there are forums like this with experts ready to give advice, without this advice I would have bought that router on eBay, Thankyou all for your advice especially Dean aka Jazzcnc.

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    I found this machine on eBay, just to look at the pictures of it. The frame has no triangulation stiffeners and the gantry side plates look as though they would sway in the breeze.
    If you want a good laugh go look at his 8 x 4 and it's gantry, I've got a pair of step ladders that are stronger, much stronger..

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    If you want a good laugh go look at his 8 x 4 and it's gantry, I've got a pair of step ladders that are stronger, much stronger..
    Don't do step ladders now mate, at 23stone and with arthritis I need a solid floor :(Looking for tiny violin smiley)

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I just had to go and have a look.
    The VFD mount is my favourite part, followed by the control box cooling fan location
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information