. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,911. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    4 x 2 I think is the smallest I would be willing to go, as it'll make it a more versatile machine.
    I was toying with the idea of making the gantry on the long axis, to leave room for future expansion, but in all honesty, I doubt I'll do much other work in wood.

Cost I want to try and keep as low as reasonable, but would prefer to source in the UK for speed, but even if I decide to go ahead with this, it'll probably take me a couple weeks to get the frame built anyway (I've got a queue of other jobs I need clear out the shed first!), so that isn't set in stone.

One thing I can't find much mention off, is what do you do about protecting the ballscrews?
    Or is it fine to leave them exposed, with regular lubrication?
    (my lathe had been used for wood when I got it, so I'm well aware of how sawdust can penetrate components!)

Electrics is the bit I know the most about, it's just all the practicalities/mechanics of a woodworking machine I don't.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    One thing I can't find much mention off, is what do you do about protecting the ballscrews?
    Or is it fine to leave them exposed, with regular lubrication?
    They handle sawdust ok up to a point but as you know it does get in there eventually. Anything you can do to keep them out of the firing line helps which is why I put them under the table out of the way rather than stuck on the sides. The "L" shaped gantry puts the screw at the rear again out of the way.
    It's a simple proven design that doesn't require fancy guards or bellows etc and does a good job of protecting screws.

Thread Information