. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    This project is now on hold for the time being.

I had a slight mishap with my lathe, and the turret is now dismantled across the floor in more pieces that what it should be able to be dismantled into, so that is the current priority. If I can't get the required parts to repair it, I've got about a month to come up with a replacement :-/
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    So the resume button has tentatively been pressed for this project, as I'm getting fed up hand machining bits of wood.

Some initial sketches have been done, so I can get an idea of component layout.
    My current plans are wide enough to machine 4ft with the gantry on the long axis for better access.
    I'm still undecided about length. 2ft would be enough, but having measured it's potential location, I think I could go to 4ft without any issue, which would increase versatility.

Gantry will be based around Jazz's tried and tested double profile L shape. I'm thinking 80x160 profile for this.
    Where are people buying aluminium profile?
    I'm aware of KJN, but my googling isn't turning up many other UK sources.

Main frame will be steel, and I'm thinking of using an epoxy poor to create the level surface for mounting rails.
    I was going to go for either 50x50 or 60x60 5mm wall box for the bed frame, with probably something a bit bigger for sides where the linear rails will mount, but I'm currently wondering if stacking two of those would work. I think I need to work out how much bed clearance I'd like, before deciding on this bit.

3. Applied Automation for another aluminium profile supplier.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Here in my new home town of Devonport, Tasmania the local steel supplier will either sell cut pieces by the metre or will sell you whole 6m length and make as many cuts as you want for free, a signifficantly cheaper option. If the same applies in the UK it may be worth designing your frame and the choice of material sizes used around making best use of full lengths of one or two sizes only.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Since I have finally sold the machine that was sitting where this machine will go, and I'd like to get the base and epoxy done while we have reasonable weather, I've been making a point of adding at least one component to F360 every night, starting with the spindle and working from there.

This is the current basic layout, so I can get a better idea of how things will be positioned.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	210607_First layout.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	30048

I have managed to misplace the notebook I had my previous sketches in, so have had to start from scratch.
    The spindle is modelled around a 5.5kw ATC spindle. The machine may start life with just a basic 2.2kw, but I'd like to get something with an ATC at some point.

Profile is Kanya 80x160.
    Rails are Hiwim 20mm.

Does anybody have a reliable source for 3D models of ballscrews and support bearings, that doesn't involve endless searching for something that might not be the correct size?
    For ballscrews I'm currently thinking 1620 or 2020, depending on what fits in best.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Does anybody have a reliable source for 3D models of ballscrews and support bearings, that doesn't involve endless searching for something that might not be the correct size?
    For ballscrews I'm currently thinking 1620 or 2020, depending on what fits in best.
    daft question, but you've tried the McMaster lookups from within F360?

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    daft question, but you've tried the McMaster lookups from within F360?
    Nope.
    I have seen that in the past, but never actually bothered to try it.
    Thanks for the heads up, as it meant I managed to add a 2020 ball screw, nut, and a couple support bearings. Probably not the exact components I'll end up using, but near enough for layout purposes.

So here's tonight's progress-

Name:	210608.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	30054

Not much, but I've had a couple other jobs to do tonight, but it's something.

After what has been a pretty rubbish few months for personal reasons, and an absolute manic 6 weeks with only 2 days off due to everybody running events that have been delayed due to a certain global issue, I've found some motivation to progress this over the past few evenings.

This is the current layout iteration, after various sketches-

Name:	211110.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	302.6 KB 
ID:	30640

Or if anybody would like to view the 3D model. this link should work - https://a360.co/3wyt3zD

I'm still not entirely convinced this will be the final layout.
    X-axis ballscrews will be in the way of putting legs on the corners, but I can probably shorten them.
    Frame is currently all 60x60x5 box section, but I may use lighter section for the cross beams (I've only added two for now, but more will be added)

I need to get the gantry end plates drawn up, and adjust a few dimensions so things will clear/fit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information