. .

Thread: Help needed

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Clive, I don't think this will be the case. More likely the frame geometry.
    Is it out by 0.5mm over 200mm ? if so the steps per might be wrong
    So I repented my error and got the Z axis within 0.02mm left to right. Just don't know how to correct the 1mm drop over 400m on the Y axis.
    Yes you are correct Rob I was reading it as it was out from 400mm to 399mm and not the drop in Z
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    Can we deviate slightly from topic and discuss this? As a rather inexperienced user, I'd have thought that ripples here would indicate that the spindle isn't trammed - I wouldn't have thought a misaligned Z axis will show when the cut is at a constant Z.
    Isn't this just a question of wording? A misaligned Z axis will not cut square and will need tramming. When I say "misaligned", I mean not moving exactly vertically in either the left/right plane or the front/back plane, and it will probably need adjusting ("tramming", to use the jargon) in both.

The ripples show up better with a large diameter cutter (I have a 50mm mainly for this purpose), and with the minimum of overlap between adjacent cuts. Do a few runs both along the X axis and the Y axis to see the misalignment, if any, in each of the axes. My guess is that there will be some kind of "slacken the bolts and tap it sideways" adjustment for left/right errors but likely to need shimming for front/back errors. i won't talk about X and Y in this context as different people use these terms differently for along/across the bed.

There are other interpretations of "misaligned" including the leadscrew not being parallel to the guide rails or the guide rails not parallel to each other but these are more concerned with freedom of movement of the axis and need sorting before being able to check accuracy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    Can we deviate slightly from topic and discuss this? As a rather inexperienced user, I'd have thought that ripples here would indicate that the spindle isn't trammed - I wouldn't have thought a misaligned Z axis will show when the cut is at a constant Z.
    If the cutter face isn't square to the bed, when you cut it will do an angled cut. The larger diameter cutter you use, the more the effect. This will make a sawtooth wave ripple on the bed and it is quite noticeable. the distance between the ridges will depend on stepover. I am assuming that you use a raster or spiral pattern, trochoidal will be less noticeable.

This error will also be noticed on the side walls of a deep cut.

So we did 'loosen and tap' and my level board was less like a saw tooth ploughed field today. So I have the spindle and carriage almost to vertical with .02mm. The Y axis is another matter. For now, I have made a level spoil board. FYI at X625 Y -400 or furthest point away from origin, the drop was 2mm!! Since I cannot have my machine out of commission I'll need to wait for the replacement before I have a go at sorting that one out!

Thanks for calling me out guys. I really ought to take more responsibility for my machine - this coming from a guy who once only had 6 oil changes on his 323 Mazda before it conked out at 145,000 miles!

As a point of interest, Peter, did you have the machine delivered and installed by Bionicasystems? If so they should have done some test cuts to check and adjust alignment.

If it was initially aligned, then you have probably knocked it out by cutting hard materials (like cold butter).

Looking at their web site they seem to have two ranges of machine, the ali profile and meccano ones and some that look like they definitely never built them, huge ones with sheet feeders etc. I'd hate to be an industrial user buying one of those and finding it wasn't up to snuff. Their aftercare seems to leave a large gap between expected and actual.

Keep at it. Yes I made a dumb mistake and no they just installed the machine but refused to run a physical test saying some bull that they weren't insured or covered of it or that irt had caused issues with customers...

Please don't keep going on. It's unhelpful...

Sorry Peter, but I have a MD machine, and I am just interested if their lack of customer concern is just the same. I gave up with them as they just got crappier and crappier. So I joined this forum and wish I had known about it beforehand.

I hope you can get it cutting properly soon, tonewood is expensive!

They are a very wealthy family with a 1000 cattle beef farm, high end cars and, and.... veru disappointed but Cody, one of Kevin's sons is a topo man because he is always cheerful and helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteHowlett View Post
    They are a very wealthy family with a 1000 cattle beef farm, high end cars .
    Shows you where their thoughts lie!

Yes I found recent Instagram posts particularly distasteful...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information