. .

Thread: Control Panel

I am rebuilding my controller as part of a remodelling of my den. The computer and motion control bits will all be mounted on an ali plate, which is fitted into a 300mm wide cupboard on drawer slides.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02416.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	592.8 KB 
ID:	28003
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02419.JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	670.2 KB 
ID:	28004

My question is about the BoB (which plugs directly into the motherboard PP socket). In it's previous home it was a separate control box with +12v and+5v being supplied from a small (ex external HDD) power supply. As I have 5 and 12v available from the PC power supply, why not use it. BoBs give galvanic isolation with the optocouplers, but this is only necessary because using two power supplies there may be a voltage difference on the 5 volt lines, causing current flow where ther should be none.

Can anybody with a better understanding of electronics advise me about using the PC power supply for the BoB?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    It all depends on what's optoisolated, and what is being powered.

One way to think about things, is if you happen to stick mains voltage up a 5V/12V signal cable on the machine side, will that mains voltage get back to the PC power supply?
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Thread Information