. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Okay Jazz and andrew, I've listened, my finger is well and truly off the workbee "buy" button.

Jazz, I've just found your PM, I'm new here, I'll respond shortly.

Something I have noticed is different manufacturers quote sizes differently. Some quote machine size, some quote cutting area size, and there seems to be no standard as to which is the gantry width. How about a forum standard?

Quote Originally Posted by Smiffy View Post
    Okay Jazz and andrew, I've listened, my finger is well and truly off the workbee "buy" button.
    Best choice you've made this year.!

Quote Originally Posted by Smiffy View Post
    Something I have noticed is different manufacturers quote sizes differently. Some quote machine size, some quote cutting area size, and there seems to be no standard as to which is the gantry width. How about a forum standard?
    Those stating total machine size rather than Cutting area are just trying to make it look bigger and more appealing. It's a marketing ploy and the first sign in my book that if they need to resort to those tactics to sell machines then the company and probably the machine need to be avoided.!!

The gantry width doesn't really come into it because some call the gantry X-axis and some Y-axis which is perfectly fine because it depends on which way the machine is viewed and used. However it's usual to quote sizes in X, Y, Z format but that doesn't mean X is always the length. It will always be the axis which runs left to right and Y will always be the axis which travels towards and away from you but it depends on if you use and view the machine from the front or the side.

This can confuse people when new to the machine but it soon becomes obvious why when you use the machine, because if setup to view from the front but you work from the side it very quickly gets confusing because the screen doesn't match what your seeing.!
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Hi JazzCNC

I think i'm in pretty much the same place as Smiffy, I'm looking for a hobby/semi pro machine for around £2-£2.5K to do some wood and Aluminium.

I've been looking at the workbee as a starting platform with the understanding it will probably need linear rails as an upgrade etc.

If you have another option or could point me in the direction of another base machine that would be GREAT!!

I'm in the southwest of England but often travel around the country.

Kind regards

Si

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information