. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    i am using the uc300 eth controller with ucbb-1 breakout board,, after removing the chinene controller and updating to uccnc,,i have slowly gotten everything working except the spindel, the vfd connection i just cant get my head around, i have attached pictures of the wired setup of the chinese controller and the vdf,,i need to know how to connect the 5 wires coming from the vfd to the new controller and b.o.b.

any help would be much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new setup.jpg 
Views:	776 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	28044   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old controller.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	28045   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vfd vonnection.jpg 
Views:	661 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	28046  

What make of BOB is it.? or give a better close up picture

its a ucbb-1 bob from cnc drive.com , the makers of uccnc,,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ucbb bob.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	28047  

Ok well, I've never used this BOB before so I could be wrong but I've had a quick look and I don't think you can take the Analog Outputs from the Uc300 through this BOB. It doesn't have a 16 pin Analog connector.? This means you cannot control the Speed from this BOB. You could take it directly from the Uc300 Analog connector but that's not advised as they are not Isolated.
    I'm not into electronics and don't know if it's possible to use the Outputs on the UCBB for analog but you'd still need to hack the DB26 cable and plug into the DB16 Analog connector on the UC300. I would email them and ask before going further.

Regards the Start/Stop and Forward/Reverse then you can connect directly to the Outputs on the BOB but this will mean Tieing the DCM (common Gnd) on the VFD to the 24V PSU Gnd.
    Personally I don't like doing this because if anything happens to VFD or Vise reverse the BOB they can feed back into each other and do damage.
    I would use relays to control the VFD On/Off and just use the outputs to turn these relays on/off. Because the UCBB doesn't provide relays then you will need external relays with diodes, one for each direction.

Sorry, I can't help much more than that. It's a very basic BOB.

Also, note that you will only need to use 4 of those wires on the VFD. The Red wire doesn't need to be used with the Uc300, all it was doing was supplying the 10V speed ref voltage to the old controller. The Uc300 generates it's own 10V Ref voltage.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 02-05-2020 at 06:47 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

I'd be looking at the RS485/ModBus controller (available for UCCNC and Mach3) - at least to see if it's viable for your VFD. It avoids some of the problems with analogue noise, linearity, etc.

There are a few ways to use the UC300ETH for VFD speed control - the usual PWM output on the more typical BoBs, the analogue output that Jazz covered, as well as the above suggestion to disregard it altogether.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    I'd be looking at the RS485/ModBus controller (available for UCCNC and Mach3) - at least to see if it's viable for your VFD. It avoids some of the problems with analogue noise, linearity, etc.

There are a few ways to use the UC300ETH for VFD speed control - the usual PWM output on the more typical BoBs, the analogue output that Jazz covered, as well as the above suggestion to disregard it altogether.
    I've fit 100's of Vfd's with analog speed control and never do I have any troubles with noise, even the linearity is acceptable for most machines. I think the only reason I'd fit Modbus is if I wanted long wire runs and slightly finer speed control.
    But like you say if going to have to buy some board etc to get speed control then RS485 would be a sensible choice. It just seems to be waste money when the controller already provides Analog Output.!

Is the following correct, I can connect the voltage in, on the vdf to the 10v output on the analog port on the controller,,, then connect the acm to the ground pin on the analog port,,,,,,,, the other two wires I connect to the Bob,,, 1 to an output for direction the other th the 24v ground connection?,,, I am new to all this,,, I've managed to get everything else working except the spindle,,, fingers crossed, hopefully get it sorted

Quote Originally Posted by voyager1972 View Post
    Is the following correct, I can connect the voltage in, on the vdf to the 10v output on the analog port on the controller,,, then connect the acm to the ground pin on the analog port,,,,,,,, the other two wires I connect to the Bob,,, 1 to an output for direction the other th the 24v ground connection?,,, I am new to all this,,, I've managed to get everything else working except the spindle,,, fingers crossed, hopefully get it sorted
    Depends on the VFD, often VFD as 2 sources for controlling the speed, Voltage or Current. usually marked V1 or A1 You want V1 for voltage and the Gnd goes to ACM.

The other two wires you speak of will be for Run (Forward) and these are usually sent through a relay. They often come from FOR and DCM(gnd).
    You can use them directly with the Outputs but you will need to tie the DCM to the Gnd of DC source you are powering the controller with.
    Personally I'd use the output to turn on a relay.!
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Last edited by kilop; 11-05-2021 at 08:53 PM.

here are the videos that show that the spindle does not turn
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2022-02-16 at 08.25.13.jpeg 
Views:	97 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	30866
    NB : it turns perfectly but, without noise, everything is perfect

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information