. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I am designing a fixed gantry fairly small desktop machine (inspired by the eco one cnc ) about 300x300mm working areas, total size perhaps 400x500

I plan to mill 10-20mm aluminium pots and am looking to use good linear guides hewing and ball screw drives etc.

I am getting the impression that servo drives may not be that necessary so am looking for micro stepped nema23 with 3Nm torque. Can anybody recommend good drivers/ stepper motor suppliers, also a controller that has USB and some support. It seems so much electronics here is from china with poor support/ documentation.

I am quite tempted by the planetCNC controller and software as seems that its quite regarded and can work with several platforms including osX. Bit of a mine field out there it seems. Im pending good money on all the mechanics so don't want to skimp on poor quality electrics

Any help would really appreciate it!!

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jonnycnc View Post
    Hi, I am designing a fixed gantry fairly small desktop machine (inspired by the eco one cnc ) about 300x300mm working areas, total size perhaps 400x500

I plan to mill 10-20mm aluminium pots and am looking to use good linear guides hewing and ball screw drives etc.

I am getting the impression that servo drives may not be that necessary so am looking for micro stepped nema23 with 3Nm torque. Can anybody recommend good drivers/ stepper motor suppliers, also a controller that has USB and some support. It seems so much electronics here is from china with poor support/ documentation.

I am quite tempted by the planetCNC controller and software as seems that its quite regarded and can work with several platforms including osX. Bit of a mine field out there it seems. Im pending good money on all the mechanics so don't want to skimp on poor quality electrics

Any help would really appreciate it!!

Jon
    Try here:
    https://cnc4you.co.uk/
    Also had good motors/drivers from longs motor and wantai on ebay (chinese)
    Don't bother with Zapp automation.

Recommend use at least 48v power supply with Nema23 motors.

Stepperonline is another possibility. They have warehouses in many countries including the UK though not everything is available from every site. I've used them several times without problems.

https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Thanks for this.
    What do you guys think of closed loop oprtions (is it necessary for such a small rig) , I've seen these which seem a good price
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Free-Ship...UAAOSwxrJeiu-e

Thanks for this.
    What do you guys think of closed loop oprtions (is it necessary for such a small rig) , I've seen these which seem a good price
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Free-Ship...UAAOSwxrJeiu-e
    Personally I don't know anything on closed loop. However I would like to try them out at some point. I lkie the look of the electrical specifications on them such as inductances. I'm talking <2.5mh though
    You have to serch around and pay decent, there is some rubbish around.
    The one you've linked is NOT a good example afaic.
    You could also look for sets with direct AC & DC input to the drivers and run a single toroidal supply to all of them.

You're better off just going this route:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/STEPPERONLI...9195092&sr=8-4
    Wire it in 'Parallel'.
    Get some DQM860 drivers and use 60V on them. I have very similar motors and same drivers on 60V and they're cracking.
    I mean you can always adjust the voltage down on the psu if you feel iffy. (you can't turn too small ones up!).
    Many run these on 60v though on G0704 type mills etc.

I am getting the impression that servo drives may not be that necessary so am looking for micro stepped nema23 with 3Nm torque. Can anybody recommend good drivers/ stepper motor suppliers,
    Ok well, personally I wouldn't use a Standard stepper system these days if you want the best system without going to the expense and complexity of servos.
    The closed-loop stepper system is far better than the Standard stepper system for a few reasons, provided you buy the right one.?

Basically there are types of closed-loop motor, 2 phase or 3 phase, 3 phase is the better type. They give a smoother movement because the Step angle is lower, usually, they come with either 1.2deg or 0.9deg compared to 1.8 deg found on standard 2 phase hybrid stepper. They are also more powerful and less prone to resonance.

This means instead of 200 steps per revolution you get 300 or 400 depending on if 1.2 or 0.9deg. That translates into smoother motion, however like everything in good in life it comes at a cost, in this case for a given RPM it requires more pulses from the controller. So if you have a controller with a low or limited frequency then you will get less speed. That said if your buying an external controller, which it sounds like you are and the area I'm coming to next, it won't be an issue.

These are what I use on small machines like this and they work great. I've fitted loads of these on small machines like what your building.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3245...533b761fP4ER5j

also a controller that has USB and some support. It seems so much electronics here is from china with poor support/ documentation.
    Don't go with USB, Ethernet is much more reliable and fitted to most PC's. USB is flaky and gives all sorts of troubles with electrical noise.

The AXBB from CncDrive Motion controls sounds about perfect for your needs or if you want to future proof with more I/O and spend a little more then go with it's bigger brother the UC300 and a UB1 breakout board. It works with Mach3/4 or UCCNC software.

http://cncdrive.com/AXBB.html

I like the PlanetCNC software very much but the fact the Controller is USB lets it down in my book. I won't use USB on any machines I build because it's too unreliable.

You are correct not to Skimp on the electronics, it's the heart of the machine and the single biggest cause of trouble on many machines that use low-quality electrics.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Hi Jazz

You might want to check that link for the motors as it opens up a whole page full of assorted motors and drivers.
    Cheers
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by the great waldo View Post
    Hi Jazz

You might want to check that link for the motors as it opens up a whole page full of assorted motors and drivers.
    Cheers
    Andrew
    Not on my machine, it goes straight to the Drive/Motor.?
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    These are what I use on small machines like this and they work great. I've fitted loads of these on small machines like what your building.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3245...533b761fP4ER5j
    What voltage do you drive these at, as I see they are 50v DC?
    I assume as closed loop gives you almost 50% more power over open loop the lower voltage is less of an issue.

Hello Jazz
    Yes it's working now on my box. I'm not sure what was up at my end.

Cheers
    Andrew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information