. .
    Hello there. I'm Andy, living in South Wales near Swansea. I have an EMCO F1 CNC mill which has been converted to run controlled by Linux. I need help to get the machine running again as after recently moving house the stepper motors all refuse to run. The spindle motor runs but not the stepper motors. I've checked the voltages coming out of the power supply board and they appear to be OK and I'm now at the limit of my electrical knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
    Hello there. I'm Andy, living in South Wales near Swansea. I have an EMCO F1 CNC mill which has been converted to run controlled by Linux. I need help to get the machine running again as after recently moving house the stepper motors all refuse to run. The spindle motor runs but not the stepper motors. I've checked the voltages coming out of the power supply board and they appear to be OK and I'm now at the limit of my electrical knowledge.
    Welcome to the forum Andy

Can you post pics of the control box and post your config files also what version of Linuxcnc.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Hi Clive.

Thanks for your response. This is where I have to reveal the depth of my ignorance in so much as I have no idea where to find the config files! The machine was configured for me by the gentleman that I bought it from, and it's running Linuxcnc 2.7.0.

The closest I can come to a picture of a control box is this:Attachment 28129

The card in the centre of the picture takes the input from the PC.

I've now been in touch with the chap who put the machine together and am doing some more faultfinding under his guidance. It appears the problem might simply be a fault on the PC combined with my ineptitude!

Thanks for your interest and I'll post an update as soon as I've got any further progress/information to report.

Are you in the South Wales area?

Ok the files are in the config folder which is in the home folder and they are called hal and lin files. The version you are using is a little bit out of date but that should not be a problem.

Photos of inside the control box might help
    Last edited by Clive S; 15-05-2020 at 07:42 AM.
    ..Clive

The problem is now solved thanks. I'm embarrassed to admit that the problem was that, through a bizarre series of co-incidences, I'd connected the mill up to the wrong parallel port on its PC. I've now removed the surplus card/port from the PC and everything appears to be working normally.

Thanks for your help Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
    The problem is now solved thanks. I'm embarrassed to admit that the problem was that, through a bizarre series of co-incidences, I'd connected the mill up to the wrong parallel port on its PC. I've now removed the surplus card/port from the PC and everything appears to be working normally.

Thanks for your help Clive.
    No prob. glad you found the problem
    ..Clive

Thread Information