. .
    Hi folks,

i'm Dave, and have been toying with building my own CNC for some time now.
    I am an engineer in the digital large format printing industry so am very familiar with accurate motion control and process control.
    i have a whole stack of servos, controllers and encoders (in fact will probably post up what i have available in the for sale section soon)
    i am aiming for a 6040 sized machine which i can get together as a system to then manufacture something a bit more accurate, seems having a CNC is a requirement to build a CNC.

most of my servo controllers are either Baldor, allen bradley or Omron, now normally these interface with a bespoke controller which is where i hit a bit of a problem as most boards that will take Mach 3/4 or linux cnc are aimed more at controlling either steppers or closed loop steppers via the many chineesium break out boards, there must be something out there but have yet to find a simple and cost effective solution.

i have a fair sized workshop with a lathe and small manual mill, so looking forward to the journey.

Hi Dave

Welcome to the forum and it sounds like you're not a million miles from myself (I'm a bit east of Ludlow).

It also sounds like you have some of the pre-reqs for your own machine or at least an understanding of where you're going.

If you post up a design for critique, there are many folks here that will help you on your way to building your own router/mill, but it is also helpful to know what materials you are looking to work in, as I'm sure you know a machine for cutting wood is very different to a machine for cutting steel.

hi there buddy,
    yes ludlow isnt too far from me at all,
    i am assembling a bunch of bits to get mk1 done, i have a fairly old boring machine that i will convert first as a parts builder for something better,
    as we not a million miles apart if you need anything let me know.
    so far enjoying the journey,

Thread Information