. .
    Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Hello all,

Ran a little test on a background texture I might be using for a potential job on the horizon.

Z axis has never been so busy...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG3760_BURST002.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	532.9 KB 
ID:	28140 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG3764_BURST002.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	264.4 KB 
ID:	28141 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG3768_BURST002.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	388.0 KB 
ID:	28142 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG3771_BURST002.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	368.1 KB 
ID:	28143

Wal.

2. Hello,

Really interesting, can you tell me a little more about how you got to machine that texture. What was modelled in CAD, what CAD package, how did you produce the G-code and what machine was it done on. Sorry for lots of questions but I love the work and would like to see if my setup could replicate that texture.
    Thanks
    Regards
    Simon

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Sure thing Simon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTlRXNFma30

EDIT: Alternatively you could create a bunch of dots using the pattern tool in Illustrator (or the like) and use them to generate a drilling op.

Wal.
    Last edited by Wal; 14-05-2020 at 05:39 PM.

4. Cheers Wal,

Off to look at V-Carve Pro. :)

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Well done Wal, that looks fantastic. Excellent finish.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Mills For This Useful Post:

It's the woody wood-pecker show... . . . . . . .Excellent work as usual Wal.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

That's about the size of it, Dean..! Forty-odd minutes for 80mm square, might have several 1000*100mm to do (if the job comes in...)

Quote Originally Posted by Wal View Post
    That's about the size of it, Dean..! Forty-odd minutes for 80mm square, might have several 1000*100mm to do (if the job comes in...)
    Ouch, that's going to give the machine headache... . . . . Tune the motors for acceleration it could save you some serious time on a job like that. A long time ago I did a very similar thing in 300mm square pieces of Oak, Full Alphabet for my Ex-wife who was a headteacher and I got the time down by 30% by retuning the motors.!

>Ouch, that's going to give the machine headache...

Not mechanically, though, surely..? I'd have thought it could go for a couple of years before it got tired... I'm using my old analogue control box at the mo (haven't got around to commissioning the new control box as the router's getting use and seems happy and square enough to warrant me not bothering with the extra screw & setting up software squaring on the Y) - I'm pretty sure the analogue box is set up with the acceleration at 70% of the values at which it starts to miss steps. No doubt it could be improved, but the Z only retracts 1.5mm on this job - could get this down to 0.5mm but would have to map the toolpath onto a 3D model so that the software 'sees' the raised bits and avoids 'em.

Might have a go at commissioning the new control box and just running three of the drivers - could give the router a bit more poke...

Wal.
    Last edited by Wal; 15-05-2020 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wal View Post
    Might have a go at commissioning the new control box and just running three of the drivers - could give the router a bit more poke...

Wal.
    Do it ASAP because the digital drives are a completlely different animal, you will get better surface finishes and more power.

The comment about giving Z-axis a head ache was more a joke than a statement but to fair pecking 1000,s of holes does take it's toll so it will be worth giving it a shake just to check it's not loosened up.?

Thread Information